Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chas H

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013

Chas H is on a distinguished road
Mirage 24 main sheet traveler

I read and participated in this forum at least ten years ago when I sailed C&C's but did not own one. I still do not own a C&C but I recently purchased a 1977 Mirage 24. So that's pretty close. When I'm at the helm going to windward and close my eyes she's all C&C!

I would like to install a Harken mainsail windward sheeting car system and new track. Have any of you sailors done same? I am sure I'll have to raise the new track due to the width of the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited 9/15
I installed the Harken car and track last June while there was still ice on Lake Superior. The worst part of the job was overcoming the fear of drilling nineteen new holes in my boat. There was ample room between the bridge deck and hatch covers for the new track without adding a spacer to raise the track. The new track is positioned aft about one-half inch from where the old track was.
A tremendous difference in ease of trimming after tacking. It's much easier to keep the boat pointed in the right direction while adjusting the mains'l.
-CH

Last edited by Chas H; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:23 PM. Reason: Harken unit installed
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mirage 24 main sheet traveler

If I remember correctly there's a bit of a bridgedeck where the traveler is mounted. It should be a straightforward replacement.. the bolt spacing ought to be the same, the new track and car will work together and there should be clearance (vertically) for the car, but I suppose it's possible you'll need a spacer (Starboard, perhaps?) If the traveler is near the aft edge of the bridge deck then the added depth fore/aft of the windward sheeting car shouldn't be an issue. Do you have decent access to the underdeck for the fasteners?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-06-2013

Faster -
The track on the Mirage is recessed on the aft edge of the bridge deck. The top of the track is about level with the top of the bridge deck. The aft side of the center section of track is exposed. The problem may be near the ends where the track goes between the bridge deck and forward edges of the locker covers.

Fortunately access to fasteners is easy inside the cabin. A socket wrench with an extension will make holding the nuts easy. I'll need to hang from a tree with weights on in my pockets for a few days to lengthen my arms so I can turn the screws on the track while holding the socket wrench. Or maybe my chiropractor could put me on his rack.

-CH
Old 09-06-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like you need a friend (and a font advisor!!)

Yes, the recessed track mount may be a problem for the larger WS car.. Are you stuck on a windward sheeting car?? In my experience they are not all they're cracked up to be, and it's possible to rig a standard traveler in such a way it's accessible from where ever whenever... and you'd save a few bucks besides.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-06-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

Font.....I could actually read that from my couch Faster. I didn't have to get up.
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 09-06-2013

I'm aging rather fast, so my eyes like more picas with serifs.
-CH
Dog Ship likes this.