SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   C & C (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c-c/)
-   -   C&C 35 MK III shower installation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c-c/105507-c-c-35-mk-iii-shower-installation.html)

Saltaire1012 11-11-2013 01:37 PM

C&C 35 MK III shower installation

I just purchased a C&C 35 MK III and want to install a shower. Two question; Does the water circulating through the Yanmar 3GM raw water cooled engine sufficient to heat or at least "warm" the water and where have people installed th shower sump and pump?

jsaronson 11-11-2013 02:28 PM

Re: C&C 35 MK III shower installation

Congrats! I own an 83 Mk III. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
You should sign up at cncphotoalbum.com for C&C specific questions.
I have a FWC engine and hot water heater. If the engine is running I have a good supply of hot water. A 6 gallon heater makes for a quick shower dockside!
If there is a teak grate in the head the space below that is the sump. There should be a pick-up and hose on that leads to a pump under the sink. I believe the discharge is next to the bilge pump discharge on the port side. There is a pull switch and a separate breaker for the shower sump. Had to replace my pump this year.

Saltaire1012 11-11-2013 03:07 PM

Thank you. I'm planning on installing a 6 gallon ISO Temp, all stainless steel water heater (since it will be salt water running throgh it) so it's great to know that will be sufficient. There is a sump under a grate but no hose leading out from it. From what you wrote it looks like I'll need to run a hose from the sump to the space under the sink and then run the outlet hose to the sink drain thru hull.
Thanks again for the input.
Dave

Opie91 11-12-2013 10:13 PM

Raw water cooled engine run considerably cooler than fresh water engines. I suspect you will not be happy with the heater performance. Congrats on the boat!!

Uricanejack 11-22-2013 07:10 AM

I have an old 35 III 84.
My boat used to have a water heater but it has been removed I guess it failed. I was wondering where it was. and what cost for a new one.
My engine is FWC. how does the cooling water run to heater.

Opie91 11-22-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uricanejack (Post 1147857)
I have an old 35 III 84.
My boat used to have a water heater but it has been removed I guess it failed. I was wondering where it was. and what cost for a new one.
My engine is FWC. how does the cooling water run to heater.

Most engines have plugs located on the heat exchanger of the engine. These plugs are removed and hose adapters are installed in their place. Hoses are then run to the heat exchanger.

Saltaire1012 11-24-2013 11:06 AM

With respect to what water heater to use, for a raw water cooled engine I'm going to use a 6 gallon ISOTEMP which is all stainless construction and riuns around $700. More expensive then some others but should have a longer life than any that do not have stainless cold throughwhich the raw water passes. An additional advantage ofthe ISOTEMP is that it can be mounted in various ways even to a bulkhead.

Faster 11-24-2013 12:29 PM

Surprised to learn that C&C would have installed a RWC engine of that size... Did they do this routinely on 'Lake' boats??

Opie91 11-24-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltaire1012 (Post 1154569)
With respect to what water heater to use, for a raw water cooled engine I'm going to use a 6 gallon ISOTEMP which is all stainless construction and riuns around $700. More expensive then some others but should have a longer life than any that do not have stainless cold throughwhich the raw water passes. An additional advantage ofthe ISOTEMP is that it can be mounted in various ways even to a bulkhead.

I think you are missing my point. The max raw water cooling water should be around 165 F and fresh water systems commonly run around 190 F. So there is a lot more heat available in a fresh water system.

The raw water heat will work fine on a long motor, but will require a substantial run time if you are thinking about running the engine for a bit to heat up some water.

As far as the ISOTEMP goes they are great units, I wish there was one in my boat. :)

Saltaire1012 11-25-2013 09:14 AM

OPIE,
No, I understand completely and realize that the raw water cooled engines run cooler, in fact I've heard numbers as low as 130. I'm good with that. Running the engine for a while and/or "warm" water is just fine.
Thanks,
Dave