Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014

Bluenose1111 is on a distinguished road
C&C 32 vs C&C 35 mk3

Hello, new to sailnet, my first post! J
ust wondering if anyone out there may have some experience with these boats. I am looking at a 1981 C&C 32 and a 1984 c&c 35MK3. The price difference is about 5k in the asking price. I am leaning toward the 35 from what I have been reading. Just wanted to get some though. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: C&C 32 vs C&C 35 mk3

I own a 35/3 and can tell you lots about it. I'm getting mine ready for the Annapolis to Bermuda race. That should tell you something about my confidence level in the boat. PM me if you like.
Never been on a 32. Check out cncphotalbum.com and join the forum there.
The lines look similar. Tiller v. wheel, smaller cabin.
Are they in similar condition?
Old 05-05-2014

Hi jsaronson, thanks for the reply! Have Not been on a forum before, pretty neat!

Wow Annapolis to Bermuda that does say a lot! I had read some posts that they can be tender but I assume this is relative considering it is a c&c? I am coming from a 20 ft sailboat but have three others that are going to sail with me so hoping the learning curve is not too steep.

The 35 is in a a bit better condition, has a lot more gear with and has a 3gm20 fresh water filtered vs a 2gm 15 raw water filtered on the 32, if that makes a huge difference.
Old 05-05-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Bluenose doesn't have enough posts yet to PM, but the information might be beneficial to others if you don't mind just posting in this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-05-2014
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Cncphotoalbum.com

Loads of info there. The join the email list, a very active owners group. Very helpful as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Donna, Sure!

Joel
Tender is a relative term. Heeling past 20 degrees is fun, but not fast. Upwind I carry a 135 until 18-20 knots apparent. I reef the main first, then partially furl the jib above 25. The FWC engine is a big deal IMHO. They did not have hour meters. "More gear" really does not add much value unless it is near new and useful to you. The 35 rates 123, the 32 rates 159. That's 36 seconds per mile. On a long sail, that adds up.

I'd recommend a survey, rigging survey and mechanical inspection as a condition of sale on either. Soft decks are a red flag. Windows are a weakness - they leak sooner or later. The Yanmars are bullet-proof if maintained, but the mixing elbows do clog. Rod rigging is supposed to be re-headed every ten years according to NavTec. The keel hull joint (aka the C&C smile) is usually not a sign of a major problem.

3 feet does not sound like a lot, but its nearly 10%. Most of the added space is in the cabin. It also means at least 10% more cost to replace lines, sails etc.

Good luck with the search!
Old 05-07-2014

Uricanejack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose1111 View Post
Hi jsaronson, thanks for the reply! Have Not been on a forum before, pretty neat!

Wow Annapolis to Bermuda that does say a lot! I had read some posts that they can be tender but I assume this is relative considering it is a c&c? I am coming from a 20 ft sailboat but have three others that are going to sail with me so hoping the learning curve is not too steep.

The 35 is in a a bit better condition, has a lot more gear with and has a 3gm20 fresh water filtered vs a 2gm 15 raw water filtered on the 32, if that makes a huge difference.
Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Had the same choice last year. Bigger price difference.
had sold a C&C 24 was looking for a 30.
Looked at a few liked a 32 not familiar with it. It was in good condition but very basic equipment. Asking 27K. But the aft bunk was to small for me.
Saw a 35 III a bit further away. Asking 38k. made an offer surveyed ok.
Bought it and been very happy.

I sailed it up from Oregon to Puget Sound against the wind NW 20 to 30. She sailed great. 1 reef and the No 2 balanced well and pointed 4pts to the wind.

Sure beats a 24 for comfort and the bunk is big enough for my 6ft.

One thought the 32 has a solid GRP hull the 35 cored.

Last edited by Uricanejack; 05-07-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2014

Thanks for your replies everyone. Sounds like the 35 is well regarded. After seeing the space on the 35 compared to the 32 hard to go back to the 32 although it is a nice looking boat as well. Making an offer on the 35 hopefully it surveys well. Thanks again everyone
Old 05-08-2014

aelkin is on a distinguished road

OMG...There is NO excuse for not paying the extra $5K for the 35-3...(assuming all other things equal and you actually LIKE the boat)

CC35-3's are terrific boats, and will last you forever if you take good care of it.

Good luck - hope your survey is good, and your offer is accepted!

Andy
Old 05-09-2014

Thanks Andy, I think the 35 is definitely the way to go now. Had a question about the coring in the hulls on the 35 mk3's - is it only cored to the waterline or all the way down to the keep stump? Is there glass around the thru hulls or is it balsa around these too? Going to get the survey done, hoping no moisture is found in the hull, the decks I am sure something will show up.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.