Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006

litfolk is on a distinguished road
What to watch for during a survey

I put money down on a Landfall 38 and will have it surveyed next week. As my previous boat was a 23' Irwin (no survey needed) I'm curious what C&C owners say I (and the surveyor) should pay particular attention to.

I've tried the cncphotoalbum.com link, but their forum doesn't seem to work. Is there an updated link to it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2006

GordMay is on a distinguished road
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/ seems to be working, though I don't think you'll find much specific info' there.
Old 06-07-2006

ztsf is on a distinguished road
What to watch for during a survey

I don't have the Landfall model C&C -- but I've been through a number of surveys. I have found all my surveyors to be more than willing to take time with me to point out issues and discuss them at length. You should be INTIMATELY INVOLVED during your survey -- after all, you're paying for it -- so get the most out of it. Don't feel like you're getting in the way - -or asking dumb questions -- as they say, the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked. If you can't get this kind of attention, or aren't getting stright answers, end the survey, pay him/her off, and find another surveyor. It will cost you way more in the long run, not to have all the answers up front. Since the surveyor is working for you, its fair to ask him whether he would purchase the boat, and (if there are apparent problems) what fixes he would recommend. Again, it's your money. Some surveyors might try to charge more for the time it takes toi answer your questions -- if you can't negotiate that away, spend the extra money -- its worth having a thorough understanding of the boat and any problems.

Be careful to spend time in the critical areas (and the most expensive): hull, deck, interior stringer structure and engine. [If the boat is in the water -- have it pulled to evaluate the hull condition (blisters, etc.), keel, prop, strut, bearing, zincs and rudder -- unfortunately moisture readings will not be possible on a wet hull.] Ask the surveyor to start there if possible, so that if there are any significant problems in these areas (that make you not want to buy the boat), you can end the survey early. Doing so may save you some survey money --as many surveyors charge based on the time it takes to go through your boat - not a flat fee. I went through my first survey for several hours, only to find at the last moment that the boat had a wet deck core. Had we have found that two hours earlier, I would have saved a couple hundred dollars.

Overall condition of the craft will be a good indicator as to whether the previous owner(s) were concerned with proper maintenance. You and the surveyor need to dig in behind the bulkheads and liners to see the real condition. Don't be fooled by a clean exterior and interior -- look "under the hood". The surveyor should do this -- so should you. If you think he missed something -- ASK.

One good thing about surveys is that -- even if I ended up not buying the boat -- I still still learned a lot about what to look for -- and ultimately saved time and money when evaluating other boats down the line.

Good Luck.