Babystay and mast bend - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jsaronson

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-12-2015 Thread Starter

Babystay and mast bend

I have a 1987 35MK3. It is a keel stepped mast with an adjustable babystay and a hydraulic backstay. How much can I bend the mast with this combo. I'm talking about bending not raking.
This winter I will step the mast and redo the top of the solid rod rigging. The adjustable backstay only pulls 2" of rod and the babystay doesn't pull until the last 2" of travel.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-12-2015
Just another Moderator

Re: Babystay and mast bend

Sounds like your hydraulic adjuster needs a rebuild, and the babystay tackle needs adjustment.

How much bend you get depends on the rigidity of the mast section and the amount of force you apply. On our last boat, a 40' masthead rig with a light section we could pull a good 8-10 inches of mast bend with the hydraulic backstay. We didn't need a babystay, in fact had checkstays to LIMIT the mast bend due to backstay tension. The bend is induced this way similar to holding a toothpick between your thumb and forefinger and compressing it. You need to limit that effect because you're actually shortening the height of the mast and your shroud tension backs off too as the masthead gets closer to the deck.

Also, if you don't limit the bend then you're not really tensioning the forestay either.

Sounds like your mast may be stiff enough to require the babystay, but it may also be that the babystay is there to discourage/stop mast pumping under certain conditions. However the main purpose of the babystay is to complicate your spinnaker pole jibes

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 6 Old 11-12-2015

I have an 83 35 Mk III.

The babystay is really only to prevent the mast from pumping. You might want a shorter shackle on the bottom so you can tension it a little more.
The backstay should have a gauge on it. Don't go over 2,000 pounds or you will flex the hull, not the mast. I would guess that from slack to 2,000 pounds is about 4-5 inches of travel, but I've never measured it.

Joel
bobperry likes this.

The Office
c&C 35/3
Annapolis
post #4 of 6 Old 11-12-2015

Depends:
Are you pre loading the spar at the partners?
Are the spreaders in line or swept?
How loose is the rig when the hydraulics are eased?
How long is the truck, back of the spar to the backstay pin?

Given the boat I would think you could easily achieve two sections. Who built the spar?
post #5 of 6 Old 11-12-2015
grumpy old man

I would start getting nervous with anything more than 6" of bend. But, nothing handles like a loaner so I'd pump it up to 8" and see what happens.

Do you have aft lowers or single in line lowers?

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
post #6 of 6 Old 12-08-2015

I have an 84 MKIII. I use the baby stay upwind to stop mast pump as mentioned. The backstay is primarily going to tension the forestay while the baby stay induces mast bend to flatten main a little more. I never measures the effect of the this. I also never go over 2000 lbs tension, if that, and you can also watch how much the leach opens to gauge how much you're bending the mast. I'm also interested in opinions on how best to utilize this combo as I've heard varying opinions in the subject.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.