vang to boom attachment - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 11-30-2016 Thread Starter

vang to boom attachment

Hello, My rope vang is attached to the aluminum boom by an horseshoe shaped fitting. The fitting has come loose. I don't know how I can attach this clip back onto the boom other than self tapping screws. I'm pretty confident that this would be a very week connection. I'd like to get the opinion of some experienced boat people on what might be the best kind of attachment.

I appreciate your input. Thanks
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-30-2016

Re: vang to boom attachment

For anyone to offer any technically valid answer you will need to either identify the boat manufacturer year and model OR post several pictures of your current set up.

Reasons: The vang to boom connection is critical for the following reasons: 1. The vang system can apply large undue 'leverage' to the boom. 2. the wall thickness of the boom is important to prevent failure in both bending stress and material strength of the boom (shear). Especially, if the boat was manufactured prior to about 1985, the OEM manufacturer probably didn't supply the vang system; It then has a high probability that it was an 'add on' by a previous owner who had little to no knowledge of the strength requirements of the boom in such an arrangement.

What's the boat? To show some pics of the current failing configuration is best. Vang connections to mast and boom can be very 'tricky' ... all due to the 'leverage' and if the boom has sufficient 'meat' to resist such leverage.

;-)
timangiel likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 11-30-2016
Learning the HARD way...

The "horseshoe shaped fitting" is called a boom bail. They are usually attached by stainless steel machine screws into a tapped hole in the boom. So long as the bail sits tight to the boom, the load that the stainless steel screw, and the boom, experience is a shear load. Use the appropriate sized bail and screw, and you should be OK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old 11-30-2016
Wes

Hi,

Here's mine...it's an Alberg 30. The boom bail is bolted through the boom with a 3/8" (I think) SS bolt. Seems to work OK after about 50 years...Albergs do have a fairly low aspect rig so the boom is pretty long in comparison to "modern" rigs. The mainsheet is at the end of the boom.

If you look closely, there's a similar bail at the mast base. I think this is about as "low tech" as you can get and should be well within a DIY scenario.

Like RichH points out, it will help to know what boat, etc.

I'm not crossing oceans nor racing

Wes
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1725.jpg  

Just broad reachin' through life...
Alberg 30/ #196 Griffin's Faith

Last edited by Wes; 11-30-2016 at 10:03 AM.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-30-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. The boat is a Viking 28, C&C design built by Ontario Yacht Co. I was wondering if there wasn't some type of insert I could put in the screw hole to make a better grip between the aluminum mast and the stainless screws. Some kind of molly or fitting. Thanks
post #6 of 25 Old 11-30-2016 Thread Starter

That looks pretty similar to mine. Always seemed fine until my son reefed on the line. I reinstalled boom bail with self tapping screws. But, thought I should probably do a better fix now since boat is out of water. Thanks for your response
post #7 of 25 Old 11-30-2016

I would consider using rivets if the holes are stripped. Easy and secure.
SHNOOL and baywater like this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #8 of 25 Old 11-30-2016
Wes

The bail on mine is NOT secured with self-tappers or even drilled and tapped - mine uses one long bolt that goes all the way through the boom. I'm sure there are some out there that DO use bolts, but once again, this is a pretty secure low-tech solution.

The J-30 I used to race on had a fitting that was secured to the underside of the boom with six 1/4"-20 bolts tapped into the boom...we sailed her really hard and didn't have an issue.

Good luck

Wes

Just broad reachin' through life...
Alberg 30/ #196 Griffin's Faith

Last edited by Wes; 11-30-2016 at 10:20 AM.
post #9 of 25 Old 11-30-2016

Good pics from Wes.
If your arrangement is similar to his, I would suggest the following, as
self tapping screws in thin walled aluminum isn't going to 'cut it' long term. The potential for a future tear out is high:

Suggested Rx:
If you can get the boom off the boat and can get the gooseneck off ..... I would suggest using predrilled and pre-tapped stainless 18-8 flat (backing) plates that are inserted inside the boom.
Once the gooseneck is removed you can attach each plate, one per side, to a rod/stick and slide the plates in and 'fish' the plates into position using a small stiff wire to match up the bore holes. The plates dont have to be curved. They will need to be thick enough so that you will get at least FIVE (or more) threads in contact with the plates; If you can get someone to 'roll' the plates to match the inside curvature of the boom - all the better. Use FINE thread stainless machine screws .... if you can find them, as most stainless machine screws commonly found will be 'coarse' thread and are not as strong as FINE thread when used in this (shear) arrangement . If you need to drill additional/new holes into the boom, if possible, drill only on or as close to the 'centerline' of the boom (between top and bottom and with reference to the horizon).
Use a 'barrier' between the stainless and the aluminum (?) boom. Simple electrical tape applied to the plate surfaces; then, Tef-Gel is a good 'barrier' to prevent corrosion due to the dissimilar metals and to prevent 'galling'/seizing of the threads. If you have an in-lb. torque wrench, be sure to torque those screws to ~60%-70% of the maximum torque value of the screws.
Torque Values Stainless Steel Bolt Table Chart | Engineers Edge | www.engineersedge.com
TEFF GEL Corrosion Eliminator and Anti-Sieze Lubricant | West Marine
Hudsonian likes this.
post #10 of 25 Old 11-30-2016
Just another Moderator

Seems to me , esp if there are no internal lines in the boom, a long through-bolt as described above is the simplest and strongest solution. It's what we used on our V28 ages ago when the original riveted bail tore free.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.