C&C35-3 Hogging on its Keel? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-19-2016 Thread Starter

C&C35-3 Hogging on its Keel?

​Hello all. I'm looking at a C&C35-3 that's been in a barn for 10 years, ever since the owner died. It looks like its ends have fallen (hogged) from too much weight on the keel. Can anyone confirm that that is what is happening here and how bad is it (attaching a pic)? I'm guessing the flaking on the keel is likely due to the hogging as well.

Can anything be done to remedy this? Will it sag back into shape in the water? Is there a way to fully repair the boat back to its original shape?

Also, I'm told the owner built it himself. I had never heard of "home-made" C&Cs - was buying plans an option for these boats?

Thank you very much!
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
image1.JPG  

Last edited by Jonathan Simms; 12-19-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-19-2016
Just another Moderator

Re: C&C35-3 Hogging on its Keel?

I'd be more worried about the hogging if the boat was right side up (Sorry....)

The photo is too far away to see/say anything about that. 10 years on the hard without adequate support (if that's what's happened) is a bit of a scary thought.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 11 Old 12-19-2016
Dirt Free

Hard to tell from the photo but if she is truly hog'd then rotten core in the hull is almost gaurantee'd show us some photos of the mast step, bet it has collapsed.

Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
I can do that
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- wg
Be the master of your own disaster - wg
If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
if you can live with the consequences, go for it. - wg
I yam what I yam an' thats all that I yam. - Popeye

post #4 of 11 Old 12-19-2016 Thread Starter

Sorry for the upside-down image. Thanks for the quick replies. Here's the image right-side up.
I'll get some close-ups in the next days.

More food for thought - it's only $5K and comes w a Penta 2003, furler, crisp NS sails, etc.
Owner died 10 years ago and widow handed it to a friend who made the offer off the cuff to me.

Thanks,
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
up.jpg  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-19-2016
Barquito

As everyone will tell you, 'free boats are not always free'. If they are asking anything more than that, it is overpriced.

If it is free, and has everything you need to sail, it might be worth a shot.

Valiant 32
post #6 of 11 Old 12-19-2016
Just another Moderator

More food for thought:

The Volvo Penta 2000 series were not their best engines, and Volvo is notorious for pricey parts.

You can credit some of that $5K towards the trailer if it's included (and if it's road-and-load-worthy) If the boat is truly hogged, then perhaps the trailer isn't as rigid as it ought to be.

Lots of question marks here... eyes wide open.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 11 Old 12-19-2016
Dirt Free

5k for a boat with rotted cored hull and collapsed mast step. That's a 100k repair.

Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
I can do that
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- wg
Be the master of your own disaster - wg
If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
if you can live with the consequences, go for it. - wg
I yam what I yam an' thats all that I yam. - Popeye
post #8 of 11 Old 12-19-2016
Tartan 27' owner

Jonathan Simms,

First, welcome to SailNut.
The C&C mk 3 sailboat is a nice boat. A friend of mine recently bought a 1982 specimen in good condition for over $20k. He also had this boat surveyed by a marine surveyor for an additional $800 or so on top of the cost of buying out the previous owner. I'll suggest that you might consider doing the same (hiring a marine surveyor to look over this boat where it rests).

With that in mind I'd like to mention that SN member boatpoker is in fact a marine surveyor so his advice should be closely heeded.
Indeed the C&C 35' mk 3 hull is entirely made from cored laminates. This means that it is made with Balsa core material sandwiched between polyester laminates on both sides. What can happen is that water can enter the Balsa core which will weaken the sandwiched hull, or worse, result in a rotten Balsa layer. This will obviously destroy the rigidity of the hull material.
I will say that if this boat was put back in the water it is very likely that the hull would settle a bit, regaining it's more normal shape. However, if the hull is hogged as you suggest then it will likely flex wherever there are internal weaknesses. So, in rough waves the hull will likely continue to flex, eventually causing further failures in hull integrity.
How bad is it? Hard to know from where I sit, which is why I suggest you hire a surveyor to look at it to confirm or deny your worst fears. It might last quite a while under light usage; sailing around bays, harbors etc. I would not want to risk my neck on a boat with this kind of compromised hull doing coastal or ocean passages though.
Spend the $800- + on a surveyor BEFORE you plunk down $5k for this boat. It could save you $4000 or more. boatpoker suggests that to fix a cored hull like this that is compromised could cost up to $100k. I would assume that this is a realistic figure.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

post #9 of 11 Old 12-19-2016

It does look like the bow is sagging a touch. Maybe because the mast & rigging isn't holding the bow up the way it used to? The owner may have liked cranking up on the backstay. That can lead to "banannitis": ends that get pulled up as the mast is driven into (perhaps through?) the keel. When the pressure's off, the ends droop back down. Put the mast back in. crank 'er up and... problem solved. Also possible: a ton or two of snow six years ago 8' deep on the foredeck, weighing it down with no support beneath: it will droop. Doesn't look like it's in a barn now, in any case. Water has likely infiltrated myriad crevices and then frozen, leading to delaminations in a variety of spots and, if we're talking about ten years, rot in a wide range of others. Neither is fun. A survey might help you determine if any of the suggested scenarios are what is actually going on and how extensive any problems are. On the other hand, for $5000, if it floats and you can get two or more season's use out of it without spending too much more than that, you might not be too badly off. Have the survey done first though. You don't want the mast to come down around your ears on your initial outing.

Last edited by paulk; 12-19-2016 at 09:53 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-19-2016
al brazzi

You say its been in a barn but the picture is outside in the snow. Im not a surveyor but nobody mentioned the freeze cycles a wet cored hull can go through. Years ago I moved a 22' trailer Boat for a friend and had to remove 12" of rainwater accumulation, have you seen inside this Boat? Carefully evaluate, pre survey and pay for a survey if it feels right. I cant imagine a hull with any kind of deformation especially noticeable being worthy to buy.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.