Reefing diagram for 1983 C&C 29 mk2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Reefing diagram for 1983 C&C 29 mk2

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a diagram of the main reefing setup for a 1983 C&C 29 mk2. We have two reefing lines going back to the cockpit. See the attached pictures. For years we have been fair weather sailors and never had a need to reef the sails. Any suggestions would be great. There are two slots in the main sail next to the boom which I assume the reefing lines are looped back around the boom after going through the reef grommets.
Attached Thumbnails
20170226_134320.jpg   20170226_134847.jpg   20170226_134831.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

Re: Reefing diagram for 1983 C&C 29 mk2

You appear to have two clew reef lines run conventionally through the boom (central picture). These may be run aft to the cockpit, hard to tell. It's more common to cleat them with cams built into the gooseneck.

You also have tack reef hooks at the gooseneck. The white lines that appear to run through your reef cringles on the luff are harder to define.. and one would have to follow them through to see what's up.

At the least your setup should resemble the drawing in the link, but for two reefs.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=reefi...4yOCJ6lrhBEMM:

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:17 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Please post pics when you figure it out!

post #4 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
One of None

Good arrival with pics here: Update Your Reefing - Sail Magazine
I'd suggest not trying to find it so excited spacific to ur boat and do it right by more current setups

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #5 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

The post "Faster" sent me looks just like the attached picture. We plan to take out the boat this weekend to put on the hard and have the bottom repaired and painted...blisters! But I plan to setup the reefing system and take some pictures. Will share with everyone! Thanks for all the advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Reefing System.jpg  
post #6 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Typical internal reefing system. The clew lines are tied around the boom, up though the clew cringle, back down to the end of the boom. Line exits at base of boom at goose neck, Usually you'll have clutches where the lines exit boom if the reefing is to be done at the boom. Sounds like yours are led aft so you can pull the clew reef in from the cockpit. The tack also looks like it uses line instead of a hook at the goose neck. Would be nice if the tack lines are led aft along with the main halyard so you could reef from the cockpit. If that's the case might want to remove the clutch cams at the goose neck so they don't accidentally self deploy with boat motion. Their is a possibliity that you have single line reefing, not clear from the pictures. In that case you'll have a single line led aft that connects both clew and tacks via the same line.

Personally don't like single line reefing. Too much friction and line to pull on the few that I have used. Took longer, required more physical force and trips to the mast because of the length of the routing of the reefing line. Prefer double line with separate clew and tack reefing lines which is what we did with our boat and love it. Drop the main halyard to a marked point, pull in the tack line and cleat, retension the main halyard and pull in the clew reef.

The illustration above should have the clew bowline around the boom only, not around the boom and tack line as it goes forward. The tension on the bowline loop will add unnecessary friction to the clew reefing line.
post #7 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago

May i ask what is the thing that brings people to get a racer like a Morgan or a C&C or corvette. I have stayed on a Morgan 35 and day sailed on a C&C 33. Cabins are small, the amenities are minimal. Granted the speed is nice. 7-9.5 knots in 15+ winds is awesome but at what price. Ill do 7 knots on motor until the wind pics up to 12-15 and then throw sails up to get 6-7knots for free. But i get to be comfy all weekend. Other then speed, may i ask what is the attraction to these boats
post #8 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

Anne.. it would be helpful to know what boat you're comparing to these two. Assuming the one in your profile pic? I see the T logo but don't recognize it as a Tartan...

btw - you'd go even a bit quicker if you stowed your fenders

Edit... I see you have the TMI 30..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #9 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Anne,

First I have to agree with you about the space of the interior of the 29 C&C, it is definitely a smaller beam than a decent cruiser of the same length. But I have to add that my dad bought the boat back in 1993, the only other sailboat either one had been on was a Sunfish about 10' long. Also the price and length of the sailboat fit what he was looking at that time. All us kids had grown up and it was just him and my mother, plenty of space for them for day sailing on the York River here in Virginia. Now that I have taken over the maintenance and the primary user of the boat I do feel the limitations of the size, especially now since I have two small kids who will be running around on it in no time. My wife and I joke all the time that if we "win the lottery today" we would certainly get a sailboat with a larger beam (i.e. cruiser) and maybe move up to about 35' for cruising up and down the Chesapeake Bay and maybe the Inter-coastal Waterway. But who knows, my 2 & 3 year old kids may grow up wanting race that C&C all over the place, should have enough persons in a few year for a good crew!

I also have to add that the 29 C&C sailboat is very nimble compare to the Catalina 30 my wife owned when we first met. To this day I'm still learning new things about how to tweak the sails or engine to get more speed. My wife always jokes with me that I'm too scare of the heeling that a racer is design to handle and never push to it's limits.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2980.JPG   IMG_2986.jpg  

Greg

1983 C&C 29 mkII / "Eagle"

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

- Carl Sagan
post #10 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Remember you're a womble

May I ask what is the thing that brings people to buy heavy, underpowered slug boats that can't sail until there is 15+ kts of wind instead of something that is light and easily driven in the smallest of breezes?
knuterikt and oldlaxer1 like this.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.