Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011

FDR14127 is on a distinguished road
RE: Comments on your boat....(hopefully yours)
Last time I looked C&C boats were built up at the end of the street here in Niagara on the Lake, in Rhode Island, and Kiel Germany...The custom ones were built in a suburb of Toronto (Port Credit?) But then I have never seen a 26' here in Niagara. The window are easily fixed if leaking by getting new rubber seals from Rob at South Shore Yachts (Virgil,ON) and have the local plastic shop cut Lexan or Poly replacements. Rob was the parts guy for the original builder so he has a lot of the replacement parts. Rest of the leaks reported are merely maintenance problems and on our 29' we have rebedded the handrails three times since 1977. (Racing crew have big feet). We replaced our instruments three times in 30 years and most owners fill the holes with judiciously placed port lights. We have lately covered the holes with white starboard and mounted a set of Tacktic's, looks nice but I wish I could afford a set of back reading bulkhead compasses. In talking to Rob Ball, Ron Mazza the designers, I was told the boats were made to go even in light air (Lake Ontario). The advice is to reef down, rollup and change gears and then the boat will handle weather even you don't want to deal with, in fact the builder George Hinterholler once told me the only way these boats will hurt you is to drive them full chat into the breakwall.
As for the single father with the young daughter, mine and her two brothers came home from Jr. Sailing class one afternoon and informed me that they had bought a C&C 29. Guess who still has to maintain it in hope the grandchildren will want to use it. Careful what you wish for.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook