SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

26 c&c, im about to buy one....

13K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  FDR14127 
#1 ·
as the topic says, im about to buy one, i was looking for some reviews... and could not find any... why is it not listed in the reviews section.. here is the pic of it.

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks nice, obviously been painted. Most of them came with a Vire inboard, I assume there may have been a problem with it and they went to the outboard. As with most C & Cs of that era the most likely problem might be wet coring on the deck but a survey will soon find that. Other wise I think they are pretty decent, nicely done down below and that one looks like it has been looked after.

Gary

#4 · (Edited)
Hopefully your offer includes a a provision permitting you to have a survey done, and to cancel the sale if the survey is not to your liking. The surveyor can check the decks for you.

I personally don't believe C&C has had any particular problem with wet decks , other than as might develop with any old boat from any ole builder.

#8 ·
Everlong...from the pix...she looks like she has been nicely kept up. Instruments are rather dated...but if they work...who cares. Nice outboard.
Conversion to propane is not that difficult...but you need a place to keep the tank as it cannot be stored in a locker down below unless it is a totally sealed space that vents overboard. My guess is you'd need to rig something up on your stern rail.
Links...West Marine: West Advisor
West Marine: West Advisor

Good luck!

#10 ·
If it has electric start or an altenator there will be wiring to the engine that plugs in. You could just ask the sellor.
And C&C did not have any more trouble than most builders of that era with cored decks but most of the boats in that size range all have some problems. The survey will find any, it is not hard to spot.

Gary

#13 ·
C&C 26 Sea Fever

HI,

I purchased my 1977 c&c 26 last year and it really has been a great boat. She's a bit tippy in 20 knots of wind and there are stoppers on the tiller that won't allow enough helm to be used when weater helm is out of control but aside from that she's really a great boat. She isn't the fastest boat out there but there are few that can beat it down wind, upwind however, things aren't so good, was out on monday night, we were keeping up with the c&C 29's downwind but once around the mark we were left behind. mine had been severly neglected and last year while on the hard I sanded the inside and out and now it's a beautiful boat that I get many comments on.
The Pluses for this boat are , size, the 10 foot beam really lets tons of "stuff" be stored without clutter in the main cabin. The lazerettes are huge and can handle everything you could possibly want to bring including sails! The layout of the cabin is easy to use and very comfortable. The stove is not propane but we've really found it to be good, we do tons of cooking on it and can't complain (except for the price of the fuel).
Our boat came with a 2gm yanmar which works great and the boat will motor along at about 6.2.

If you have any questions please send me a note, I would be glad to answer any if I can. jdgoodfe@hotmail.com

#14 ·
Well, it has been a while since i got my boat.. .really like it... few cons:
the icebox, drains to the sink,with a manual pump that leaks, can' t find a replacement one. The main galley sink pump\faucet leaks, cant get the main HUGE bolt off to install the new one. Steering is kind of hard with an outboard and the tiller getting out of the dock. Im getting some black kind of "stuff/shi*"coming out of the watertank, when pumping the faucet(will later figure out how to remove the water tank, and use freshwater to use for washing dishes).Besides that i LOVE it, its only 26 feet, and has TONS of room,and storage, everyone who goes inside of it is surprised how much room i have!!!

Some pics:) any Qs pm me:) really like it, installed some solar panels, tv, dvd deck etc...

#18 ·
well, it has been 3 years since i have sold my boat, i really regret that since my wife left me two months ago, and left me here with my prescious daughter Olivia. Olivia is 2 years and 4 months old and i can't really sail with her yet, but as soon as an opportunity comes i will purchase another C&C

#19 ·
I have a 73 25 ft C&C and its clean like this one but yours has more up dated gauges and rigging. C&C where build in Bellville Ontario, they where in the 70's a design leader. The wife and I log 200 to 240 hrs a month on are's. She can handle it herself. You will get nothing but pleasure out of that boat. There is a C&C gathering on Aug 5 on Thetis Island if your in the northwest Gulf Islands. I have lots of info on them let me know what all you want to know.

#20 ·
That's a really nice looking C&C that has obviously had some care. You can tell because the door to the V berth is still fitted. Damn useless things were the first thing to be dismounted since they had a tendency to bang around. Stove is fine....I would not fit a propane stove on a boat on a bet. We have changed ours for a new Origo and mounted a microwave in place of the oven. No room on yours to refit that. Better boat than any other in its size...

#21 ·
RE: Comments on your boat....(hopefully yours)
Last time I looked C&C boats were built up at the end of the street here in Niagara on the Lake, in Rhode Island, and Kiel Germany...The custom ones were built in a suburb of Toronto (Port Credit?) But then I have never seen a 26' here in Niagara. The window are easily fixed if leaking by getting new rubber seals from Rob at South Shore Yachts (Virgil,ON) and have the local plastic shop cut Lexan or Poly replacements. Rob was the parts guy for the original builder so he has a lot of the replacement parts. Rest of the leaks reported are merely maintenance problems and on our 29' we have rebedded the handrails three times since 1977. (Racing crew have big feet). We replaced our instruments three times in 30 years and most owners fill the holes with judiciously placed port lights. We have lately covered the holes with white starboard and mounted a set of Tacktic's, looks nice but I wish I could afford a set of back reading bulkhead compasses. In talking to Rob Ball, Ron Mazza the designers, I was told the boats were made to go even in light air (Lake Ontario). The advice is to reef down, rollup and change gears and then the boat will handle weather even you don't want to deal with, in fact the builder George Hinterholler once told me the only way these boats will hurt you is to drive them full chat into the breakwall.
As for the single father with the young daughter, mine and her two brothers came home from Jr. Sailing class one afternoon and informed me that they had bought a C&C 29. Guess who still has to maintain it in hope the grandchildren will want to use it. Careful what you wish for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.