Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008

emptycooler is on a distinguished road
Yanmar SB8 diesel

I purchased a neglected C & C 26 this winter w/SB8 inboard. The boat has potential. I'm not familiar with diesels, so what kind of check list should I do first. The previous owner did not keep records of any type or could not tell me anything, just that it runs.
Not much room to fit through lazeret hatch, but found the pipe that comes out of the top of engine and ties into muffler was loose. Pipe is corroded to some extent (replacing?) or just retighten? Makes me wonder about other items to look for.
Looking for suggestions and advice.

Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2008

Captphil24 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Captphil24
Don, Just some suggestions. Drain the diesel fuel tank, replace with new diesel. New fuel filter. I have a '75, 27 ft hunter. The engine has never had any work done on it. Sucker just runs and runs. When it is running, you might look for any exhaust leaks. I always keep the inlet valve closed when not on board, and check the cooling water outlet flow when I first start the engine. You could also replace the water pump impeller. It will need replaced some time and now might be a good time for you to become familiar with the procedure. Oh, yea. Change the oil. You may have to draw the oil up out of the dip stick tube. My engine has not drain plug.
Good luck.
Phil in FL
Old 06-02-2008

Phil,

Thank you for the helpful suggestions, I'm on a learning curve, but a fun and sometimes frustrating one at that. Does the SB8 shake at low rpms?
Don
Old 06-02-2008
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
nvrmnd.mispost.

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 06-02-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2008

Capt Phil

Now that I'm getting more familiar with boat, it is a shame past owner let so many item slide and just put boat in water season to season.
Old 10-30-2008

logos is on a distinguished road
I am purchasing a 1978 Hunter Sailboat. It comes with the Yanmar SB8... What I haven'e found yet is what reasonable cruising speed can I expect? Also fuel consumption numbers. thanks all... going from LA to Portland, OR... see thread titled "LA to Portland Nov 2008"

Last edited by logos; 10-30-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2008

To Logos,
I had taken some advice from cnc3voodoo and my Yanmar runs like a champ.
I replaced an out dated fuel filter with a racor, changed kinked copper lines to flexible rubber, modified the exhaust, changed the impeller and belt, cleaned the engine, adjusted the linkage and stop the throttle creep. Aligned shaft to take vibration out.
Back to your question How much fuel do I burn? not much, about a quart for summer. I'm docked 15 minutes from the mouth of river to lake and once I get out past a bouy I set sail. I spent more time working on exterior of boat.
If your not into mechanics, check around for a reputable marine mechanic and have him do a thorough overall. If enigne is properly maintained should run for ever.
Happy sailing,
Emptycooler
Old 10-31-2008

logos is on a distinguished road
Thank you emptycooler. I will be facing head winds in the 10-20kt range from the extended forecasts and almanac references for this time of year. So wondering, with a foul surface current of up to .8kt and head winds of 10-20kts what will a '78 Hunter make good? I am hoping for 3kts... is that realistic? or will it be 1-2? I of course would like to only run the little beast at a reasonable rpm and will be doing 60-100 mile jaunts. I will sail as much as possible. But am trying to get a better idea of realistic speeds. Guesses or references from experience are welcome. But I will start my post: "LA to Portland Nov 2008" so maybe we should continue it there.
Old 11-07-2008

dave316 is on a distinguished road
Don, Here are some suggestions, Captphil24 is right on the money to start.
Get rid of the old fuel!!!, remove and replace any fuel filters you have in line from your tank to the engine.
Change oil and filter, If the engine has a secondary, fresh water cooling system, drain it and put in new coolant, I would pull the raw water hose and inspect whats inside, "critters, seaweed, mud," etc... if you are able, check the water pump impeller, it would not be a bad idea to just replace it.
Look at your air box, if the boats been sitting, bugs, rodents and other things may have made a home in it.
Look over all the electrical connections for corrosion and replace as needed, replace you altenator belt, It's not worth the headache having it brake underway.
Lastly, before you do all of these things I would go buy the Yanmar book, specific for your engine, sit down with a cold beer or the beverage of choice and start reading. It's the best way to learn, ""Vrs" trial and error, spoken from experience! Hope this helps... Good luck! thats a good motor,

Dave.