SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

C&C 34 Owners or Sailors

21K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  OldSteveH 
#1 ·
Anybody out there with a C&C 34? I am having a very well-maintaned 1980 surveyed soon and would like to hear from owners about specifics to watch out for. Obviously I want detailed cored deck and hull checks. I'm on San Francisco Bay, so especially interested in making connections with any other 34 owners there.

#2 ·
Not an owner, but we came VERY close to buying an '81 a few years back.. Ultimately rejected it for a few reasons specific to that particular boat. However one thing that did alarm us, and I've seen it on others, is a lot of flexibility at the hull/deck joint - ie if you grab the top of the stanchion and push a little the whole joint flexed considerably allowing a lot of movement of the stanchion.

Still not sure whether or not the one we looked at was "soft" in this area, or if that's a general characteristic of the design/build. But it's something I'd look at on this one too.

Anecdotal information on this design seems to indicate that it's a bit of an underperformer (against their PHRF) but as a cruising boat that's not an issue as a rule. Definitely a comfortable interior and a nice cockpit.

#3 ·
Thanks

I've chartered many times up the your area. Thanks for the advice. Yes, one of my first things was to shake, rattle, and roll the stanchions. Solid as rock. My biggest concern is cored hull below the waterline, which the surveyor will check when we pull the boat out Monday. New sails, little used mylar Genoa and spinnaker, new upholstery, autopilot, Signet windspeed-direction-depth, Avon Redcrest dingy, reaching and spin poles, rebuilt 2QM20H with 50 hours and my mechanic says good installation. Sure hope it surveys out well.

#4 ·
Yes, the core is an issue with these models, but you had already indicated your awareness of that. Hopefully your survey goes well.
Sounds like a well equipped example, and I think if you get a good one that you'll have a lot of boat for a reasonable amount of money.

Remember that on a fresh haulout any moisture readings will be a bit sketchy, but the "tap test" should give you a good indication of what's happening there.

Good Luck!

#5 ·
The 34" is a strange model for SF Bay as it is a tender boat, back in the day some PHRFers out here would put a lead shoe on the keel to get some extra stiffness, well worth the 3-6 seconds per mile. The hull core comes right down to the keel, the aft keel/hull joint can be an ugly sight after hitting anything...should you ever do so, pull the boat immediately.

FWIW, the C&C 35 Marks I or II are twice the boat the 34 is... better made, stiffer and faster...

#8 ·
Very thorough survey in and out of water with no-charge sea trial came to about $535. Boat was in superb condition. I also had the engine gone over by my Yamaha mechanic (35 years with Yamaha) and it was fine too. We were out on flat water in SF Bay at one time with 1 kt wind and the boat was making 1 kt on new North main and new 100% Pineapple jib. It is very responsive, but not a tender boat, and I'd never consider a lead shoe or torpedo extension of the keel (as Sailing Fool suggested) because they can really screw up sailing balance and a lot of other things, from what I've seen and heard. The solution for unconfortable heel is reducing sail, but I've watched videos of some guys cruising a C&C 34 up on Puget Sound and the San Juans, where sailing can be difficult (I've chartered there many times), and their boat is not tender. In fact, it moves well upwind and downwind in rough conditions. My surveyor, whose has cruised tens of thousands of miles as well as delivering scores of boats was very impressed with the C&C 34 and said I should be able to coastal cruise it to the Baha with no worries about strength. Of course, the C&C 34 is not a blue water boat, but it is a fast and comfortable coastal cruiser. I think it will be fast and fun on SF Bay.

#10 ·
The 34 is a good boat.........I race against one and in the right conditions it does well.

Where they, and really all boats from that era struggle, is downwind. They tend to be a bit skiddish with the narrown stern but of course you need to be pushing the boat to have any real issues.

Who did you use for a survery? I am looking at a boat in the Bay area and hopefully will need there services.

I am up in Vancouver FYI.

#13 ·
My C&C 34

My boat is Legacy, formerly Illusion kept for four years by previous owner at Tahoe. He purchased in Southern California and had it professionally maintained. Excellent condition. I keep Legacy at Fortman Marina on the Alameda Estuary out of San Francisco Bay. I am preparing Legacy for a cruise to Southern California and Sea of Cortez next fall, then in legs for a circumnavigation. I wanted a good light-air boat big enough to provision me for single- or short-handed cruising. Learning how to handle heavy winds in SF. Boat wants to be double-reefed in 20 knots but sails very fast. Ancient Stearns hydraulic backstay tensioner working fine, but am looking for parts I can adapt when the seal finally gives up. Backstay and babystay tension make a serious difference with the C&C 34 in both pointing and speed. The old ST 4000 is working fine, and much better now that I changed some of the root settings, so use it with a remote for singlehanding. Great for tacking, jibing, time off the wheel. Legacy was beautifully maintained, has nearly new sails, lifelines and rod rigging recently renewed, etc.:)

#14 ·
New C & C 34

New to me anyway. Her name is Excalibur 111, berthed in Point Roberts WA. Close to the San Juans and the Gulf Islands. I brought her from Vancouver to Point Roberts on a beautiful sunny day but no B!!!!y wind, had to motor asll the way. She has been very well looked after by the same owners since new but who are now unable to give me much help in the little details of the boat. I will have to learn by trial & error. Things like the Propane sniffer going off but no discernible leaks, and an electric sump pump that does not seem to want to work. I will keep in touch.

#20 ·
Congrats on your purchase Lewis. I am planning on buying a 34 as well. I am looking forward to exploring this 'tenderness' reputation. It sounds like if its sailed properly it will move in both light and heavy air versus something stiffer which will only go in heavier air. The question is - how finicky is the boat? Does it have to be just so to make it go? That's not what I have heard. I'm curious as to your experience so far.

Cheers

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.