Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008

lewiskeizer is on a distinguished road
Question C&C 34 Owners or Sailors

Anybody out there with a C&C 34? I am having a very well-maintaned 1980 surveyed soon and would like to hear from owners about specifics to watch out for. Obviously I want detailed cored deck and hull checks. I'm on San Francisco Bay, so especially interested in making connections with any other 34 owners there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Not an owner, but we came VERY close to buying an '81 a few years back.. Ultimately rejected it for a few reasons specific to that particular boat. However one thing that did alarm us, and I've seen it on others, is a lot of flexibility at the hull/deck joint - ie if you grab the top of the stanchion and push a little the whole joint flexed considerably allowing a lot of movement of the stanchion.

Still not sure whether or not the one we looked at was "soft" in this area, or if that's a general characteristic of the design/build. But it's something I'd look at on this one too.

Anecdotal information on this design seems to indicate that it's a bit of an underperformer (against their PHRF) but as a cruising boat that's not an issue as a rule. Definitely a comfortable interior and a nice cockpit.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-05-2008

Thanks

I've chartered many times up the your area. Thanks for the advice. Yes, one of my first things was to shake, rattle, and roll the stanchions. Solid as rock. My biggest concern is cored hull below the waterline, which the surveyor will check when we pull the boat out Monday. New sails, little used mylar Genoa and spinnaker, new upholstery, autopilot, Signet windspeed-direction-depth, Avon Redcrest dingy, reaching and spin poles, rebuilt 2QM20H with 50 hours and my mechanic says good installation. Sure hope it surveys out well.
Old 12-05-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Yes, the core is an issue with these models, but you had already indicated your awareness of that. Hopefully your survey goes well.
Sounds like a well equipped example, and I think if you get a good one that you'll have a lot of boat for a reasonable amount of money.

Remember that on a fresh haulout any moisture readings will be a bit sketchy, but the "tap test" should give you a good indication of what's happening there.

Good Luck!

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 12-09-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
The 34" is a strange model for SF Bay as it is a tender boat, back in the day some PHRFers out here would put a lead shoe on the keel to get some extra stiffness, well worth the 3-6 seconds per mile. The hull core comes right down to the keel, the aft keel/hull joint can be an ugly sight after hitting anything...should you ever do so, pull the boat immediately.

FWIW, the C&C 35 Marks I or II are twice the boat the 34 is... better made, stiffer and faster...
Old 12-15-2008
Old sailor, new member.

SailNation is on a distinguished road
Do you mind sharing what you are having to pay for the survey?
Is there a thread for this kind of info?
Thanks.
Old 12-15-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Typical surveys are around 15-20 bucks a foot with local cost of living and larger boats generally affecting rates upward. i.e it costs more per foot for a 50 footer than a 25 footer in most cases.
Old 12-15-2008

Very thorough survey in and out of water with no-charge sea trial came to about $535. Boat was in superb condition. I also had the engine gone over by my Yamaha mechanic (35 years with Yamaha) and it was fine too. We were out on flat water in SF Bay at one time with 1 kt wind and the boat was making 1 kt on new North main and new 100% Pineapple jib. It is very responsive, but not a tender boat, and I'd never consider a lead shoe or torpedo extension of the keel (as Sailing Fool suggested) because they can really screw up sailing balance and a lot of other things, from what I've seen and heard. The solution for unconfortable heel is reducing sail, but I've watched videos of some guys cruising a C&C 34 up on Puget Sound and the San Juans, where sailing can be difficult (I've chartered there many times), and their boat is not tender. In fact, it moves well upwind and downwind in rough conditions. My surveyor, whose has cruised tens of thousands of miles as well as delivering scores of boats was very impressed with the C&C 34 and said I should be able to coastal cruise it to the Baha with no worries about strength. Of course, the C&C 34 is not a blue water boat, but it is a fast and comfortable coastal cruiser. I think it will be fast and fun on SF Bay.
Old 12-16-2008
Just another Moderator

.... so did you buy it??

Old 01-12-2009

alymatt is on a distinguished road
The 34 is a good boat.........I race against one and in the right conditions it does well.

Where they, and really all boats from that era struggle, is downwind. They tend to be a bit skiddish with the narrown stern but of course you need to be pushing the boat to have any real issues.

Who did you use for a survery? I am looking at a boat in the Bay area and hopefully will need there services.

I am up in Vancouver FYI.