Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009

alymatt is on a distinguished road
I have followed this and other stories for the past 6 months.........and also have dealt with the service end of the C&C factory and haven't had any issues to date.

To those looking at purchasing boats, and in particular check out an owners group on sailing networks............I know there is an excellent C&C 110 group and the guys over there will be happy to answer any questions about the boats, there dealings or anything else you might want to know about.

Hope this is helpful, it was for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc33voodoo View Post
sorry, but what does any of that have to do with buying a 2003?
Perhaps the transferable 15 year hull warranty would have something to do with it....it still has 9 years left. Perhaps Mr. Vito's experience and Giulietta's personal inspection would encourage one to have the surveyor check a few things extra carefully before investing. I think I went out of my way to say that I think the overwhelming and vast majority are fine...but you should do due diligence in buying one.
Alymatt...I would suggest that owners groups are often NOT the best place to find out info on a boat as we all tend to love our boats and speak of them highly and overlook or minimize their deficiencies. Some owners groups are supported or hosted by the manufacturer and can really get distorted. Owners groups serve some really good purposes...but I would rely more on independent reviews, forum discussions and FORMER owners opinions when making a purchase of any boat.

Last edited by camaraderie; 03-06-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I know of 5 C&C boats (seen 2 with my eyes) 2 on a private email, and a new one last week, of the new batch, that have cracked.

That I am aware of, only one was repaired by C&C, but the repair failed too.

Apparently, guarantee issues are dealt by the dealers, THAT don't want to repair the boats..because it's structural. I asked the deaaler in Chicago, in the presence of another memeber here, and he said guarantees are dealt by the dealers..the problem is this is more than cosmetics, and the dealers can't do much..sad but true

TO me, 5 cracked boats is 4 too much on a 200.000 Dollar investment.

Last edited by Giulietta; 03-06-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2009
B'Causeican

spec2 is on a distinguished road
Friends.....While I agree there are problems.....there are problems with every manufacturer these days. Dehler, Alerion, etc. I'm not setting the bar too high in terms of dealing with the factory given your comments but I have spoken to Tartan/C&C three times about this boat. They were quite helpful in discussing issues & concerns. I'm going to make an offer on this 99. Its avail at a very fair price (which is in my range) and looks to be in great shape. It'll be pending survey and sea trial of course. Appreciate everyone's comments. Wish me luck!
Old 03-14-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
I think your making the right decision. I think the 99 is an awesome boat.
good luck with the purchase and hope to see some pics of the boat once you get it.

chris.

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 03-14-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2009
B'Causeican

http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/.../ppuser/160058

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-22-2009

pearle99 is on a distinguished road
C&c 99 -

Spec 2 I would like to know your experience so far. I too am looking at a used 99. Seems like a great boat but I came across all the chatter out here. I have read all the posts (even the deleted ones!) and I appreciate the efforts of those who are following this.
The 99 seems to me to be the perfect boat design though I wish it did not have a saildrive. The equipment is top notch - serious sized winches and carbon fiber mast/pole. I am not too concerned about the financial state of the manufacturer - most hull warranties from other manufacturers have expired on a 4 year old boat.
The 2005 I am looking at has a Yanmar sail drive - a new drive the owner replaced last year. It worries me that it failed but that's a Yanmar issue not a C&C issue.
Any comments you can add would be appreciated!
Old 08-22-2009

Drumroll30 is on a distinguished road
I'm surprised that such a reputable engine builder such as Yanmar are having so many difficulties with their saildrives. I'm with Pearle, I'd go with the shaft drive, too bad its not available on the 99.
Old 08-23-2009
B'Causeican

C & C 99

Hi Pearle99 - Our 99 is pretty much factory stock. We have the deep 6.5 keel tho. The boat points very well. In a 15kt wind with full sails, she'll heel over which can cause loss of helm. A quick turn into to wind resolves, but that was a bit scary the first few times. She needs to be reefed in anything more. The hardware on the boat is solid. Our boat was on the hard over a year and we had no mechanical issues at all this year. Our Volvo Saildrive is hard to start if it sits for over a week, but beyond that, I really like the system. I've been told the rubber ring sealing the engine needs to be replaced every 7-8 years. I guess I'm due soon. I like the saildrive system vs shaft. No water in the bilge period. Better reverse and no sideways thrust. Re performance....I'm a little surprised the boat isn't much faster given the sail area. We get 7.5-8kts max on Narragansett Bay in a 15-18kt blow. But she is a lot heavier than lets say a J Boat. Probably more stable as well. Down below, fit and finish is just ok. Its not a condo as you're probably aware. The doors on my bulkhead won't close as things have shifted and/or swelled. I'll be fixing that over the winter. Re the company....they were actually quite helpful when I was purchasing. They reviewed the boat with me via pics I provided. They answer the phone, return calls and were helpful with parts when needed. Can't complain. I do hope they can right the ship in Fairport. Its always nice to have a strong manufacturer behind you. I hope this info helps.
Old 08-23-2009

pearle99 is on a distinguished road
Hi Spec2 - glad to hear your received good service. I read in some earlier posts where C&C offered carbon fibre masts to those that bought earlier aluminum models at bargain basement pricing. Makes me think they are a good company facing some challenging times. Thanks for clarifying the performance of the boat - I guess with all that sail area she heels easier than a cruiser. The speed is what I would expect (in fact I think it is pretty good for a 32 footer!) I believe you are at the theoretical maximum hull speed up around 8 - from what little I know you need a bigger boat to go faster.
I too was really happy to see a nearly dry, very clean bilge - in this one a 1/2 cup of rain water was all (it comes in down the mast).
Thanks again for your reply!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.