Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009

bmastror is on a distinguished road
Hi "Spec2",

I saw from the forums that it looks like you did purchase the C&C 99 and you sail in Narraganset Bay. I currently have a J/24 and sail in the same area and was looking to upgrade. I've been considering the C&C 99. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the boat and how it handles the local conditions. Are you doing any PHRF racing?

Thanks,

Brooke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2009
B'Causeican

spec2 is on a distinguished road
Hi Brooke,

I had posted to the forum a few weeks ago some feedback on my boat. I've copied that below.

We have the deep 6.5 keel. The boat points very well. In a plus 15kt wind with full sails, she'll heel over which can cause loss of helm. A quick turn into to wind resolves, but that was a bit scary the first few times. She needs to be reefed in anything more than 16kts. The hardware on the boat is solid. Our boat was on the hard over a year and we had no mechanical issues at all this year. Our Volvo Saildrive is hard to start if it sits for over a week, but beyond that, I really like the system. I've been told the rubber ring sealing the engine needs to be replaced every 7-8 years. I guess I'm due soon. I like the saildrive system vs shaft. No water in the bilge period. Better reverse and no sideways thrust. Re performance....I'm a little surprised the boat isn't much faster given the sail area. We get 7.5-8kts max on Narragansett Bay in a 15-18kt blow. But she is a lot heavier than lets say a J Boat. Probably more stable as well. Down below, fit and finish is just ok. Its not a condo as you're probably aware. The doors on my bulkhead won't close as things have shifted and/or swelled. I'll be fixing that over the winter. Re the company....they were actually quite helpful when I was purchasing. They reviewed the boat with me via pics I provided. They answer the phone, return calls and were helpful with parts when needed. Can't complain. I do hope they can right the ship in Fairport. Its always nice to have a strong manufacturer behind you....

Furthermore, in light wind, she performs fairly well. Best conditions seem to be between 8-15kts. Site lines are great except with full genoa (135%). No worse than other boats I suppose? The boat is beamy and as a result, a fair amount of adults can fit comfortably aft. There are alot of lines on this boat. The Harken main sheet system sits just forward of the 48" wheel. Add the jib sheet and jib car lines and you've got a bit of a mess in the cockpit. We keep it as neat as possible under way. There is ample stowage up top, but not alot below.

Re your question on PHRF. We're just in the "learning to sail" phase and not ready to join a race. Its our first sailboat. Perhaps next year?? There seems to be a fair amount of inventory out there right now. I understand the 2004 models and above came with a Carbon mast? Doesn't really make a diff to me, but perhaps others?

Hope this answers your questions.
Old 10-05-2009

Thanks so much for your reply! It sounds like you have been overall very happy with the sailboat. Glad to hear C&C was responsive to your questions too.

7.5-8 knots is not that bad for a 32 foot boat. The theoretical hull speed for 32 feet is 7.6 knots, but once you are heeled over, the waterline length changes and is longer (we've hit 8.1knots in our J/24 downwind, but I think we were starting to plane)

Check out this web site: Boat Speed | Hull Speed | Speed Calculator

Was that heading up wind, broad/beam reach or downwind? Have you tried different sail trim? We bought our first boat 4 years ago and learned a ton about sail trim (and we probably have a ton more to go!). With some basic trim steps (outhaul, cunningham, backstay) we found we didn't need to reef so quickly or when the wind is lighter we could go faster.

How have you found the amount of ventilation in the cabin while cruising in the summer time? I was concerned that the side windows do not open at all.

I heard about the carbon fiber mast too. I guess they offer a great deal if you wanted to covert to one, but I can image the cost is still pretty steep. I also heard that carbon fiber may not be as durable as the traditional aluminum.
Old 10-06-2009
B'Causeican

We were able to get over 7kts when close hauled or on a beam reach. Since we just started sailing this year, we are still learing how to maximize perfromance with the Harken Main Sheet System. Also, learning quite a bit about sail shape. We picked up a good book from our riggings guy in East Greenwich who has been quite helpful. "Sail and Rig Tuning" by Dedekam. Cabin ventilation is ok. There is a large hatch forward, one in the head and another large opening just aft of the mast in the salon. There is also one in the galley. There is also a medium size hatch in the aft berth. Re the mast, I did not check into the cost of swapping for carbon. I just don't see the need. If someone else has an opin, I'd like to know what I gain for the added expense.
Old 10-07-2009

Good info to know and I'll check out the book you recommended too - sounds like a great reference.

A few more questions if you don't mind: when you were shopping for used C&C99s, what were some of the things you specifically looked at? It sounds like you took a few pictures of things you were concerned about and discussed with C&C. Are there certain "watch outs" with this boat? Also, where there other types of boats you were considering?
Old 10-08-2009
B'Causeican

We looked only at used boats. New would have been well out of our range in any of these models. We looked at Dufour, Dehler although we never found a Dufour to actually look at. There was very limited inventory but we did manage to look at a Dehler. It had been sailed pretty hard so we decided against it. We looked at JBoats. Specifically the 100 and 35 models. We also looked at Hanse and found a HalRas for sale in our area. Also, we looked at Alerion but it was out of our price range. All of these boats were late model and in the 32ft-35ft range. We wanted something that was reasonably fast but stable and some level of comfort below. We didn't want a condo however. We wanted something where at least 6 adults could stay in the cockpit or aft of the helm fairly comfortably and still handle all the sheets. Also, we tried to avoid boats that had been raced. The late model issue was important to me. I didn't want to spend our first year fixing a bunch of stuff. We looked at several 99's. Some were pricey and some had been sailed very hard. This particular boat was lightly sailed and well cared for. As for the pics and review with C&C, its just my nature to try to investigate as much as possible and being a novice at this, it seemed like a good idea. There are really no issues with the boat that I can say after our first year. The deep draft certainly makes us nervous at times but we're getting over it and our navigation and knowledge is getting better because of it. The Saildrive / Volvo runs very well. No issues with the hardware or rigging either. I'd say the only issue is handling in a 16kt + wind. She heels over quite a bit and needs to be reefed in those conditions. There is a loss of some helm if she heels too far. First time that happened, it was a bit of a surprise. We've grown accustomed to it at this point.
Old 10-23-2009

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
The 99 is a nice boat. I have sailed on our friends a few times, raced on it some and raced against it a lot. Spent a lot of time sitting aboard at the dock as well.

Theirs is 2008 and they have had it 2.5 seasons. no problems, great support and they love the boat. The only negative they have with the boat is the table arrangement. It is optional and they were advised against it when they purchased the boat - butthey bought it anyway and find it just a little better than useless.

As to the overpowered comment at 15 knots - I have been at the wheel and noticed the weather helm - is usually a trim issue with the sails. What I really liked was how responsive the wheel is - you actually feel the boat which is probably why there is so much pressure when the main is over sheeted.

If the wind is much over 15 knots true use the #3. The boat loves it.

Glad you bought the boat Spec. I just came across this thread (I never even knew this forum subsection existed). As I was reading I was hoping you would go ahead and get the boat.

The boat I sail on is the 5.5 foot draft.

Also I think someone posted elswhere that the cracking problems reported were not with the C&C99 but were with larger hulls.

Oh - and it is not a condo - it is a palace to those like me that have J27.

Mike
J27 #150
Nut Case
http://usres.eastlink.ca/~mhoyt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-23-2009
B'Causeican

Hello Mike - I assume your mention of the table option is about the table in the settee? We have the fold down table in storage. The prior owner did not have it installed, and I didn't bother either. Its just in the way. My research on C & C quality issues seemed to point more towards four-digit Tartans. There appears to be a few angry owners out there. We've had no real issues during our first year and the folks at C & C have been very helpful. We need a bit more experience before we sign up for a race, but we'll likely take shot at some point next year. She's coming out of the water next week. sigh...
Old 04-14-2012

quanta is on a distinguished road
Re: C&C 99 owners opinions - help pls

Just bought a 2003 C&C 99 and love her. Did you ever buy one?
Old 04-15-2012

Re: C&C 99 owners opinions - help pls

Hi Quanta, I did not get a C&C 99. Sounds like you are enjoying her very much! We ended up saving for a few more years and found a great used J/109. We have been having a great time and love the performance and cruising capabilities. Very easy to sail her, very hard to sail her fast! We still have a lot to learn, but enjoying every bit!