Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009
B'Causeican

spec2 is on a distinguished road
C&C 99 owners opinions - help pls

Hi, I am new to this forum. Looking to buy my first sailboat. Have my eye on a C & C 99, 2003 with 6'.5" keel. Does anyone have an opin on this model/boat? Also, wondering why there is no owner comments or forums on this mass-produced C & C? Thanks - Spec
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
These are nice, performance-oriented racer/cruisers. I've only been aboard them at the shows, but I've read very favorable owner comments in a number of places -- I thought there were some here on Sailnet so it might be worth using the "advanced search" function to see what you can come up with.

I have also read of some "issues", on a limited number of examples of certain newer (epoxy) Tartan/C&C models. You should be able to find more info on that subject if you google "Tartan problems". My understanding is that these problems showed up pretty quickly on the boats that had them, so it is more an issue of warranty remedy than a question of problems that might show up later down the road. Boat/US had a recent article (January 2009?) that would shed some light.

So definitely get a good survey, and have your surveyor review the discussions of "issues" that your research generates, and then check the boat carefully with that info in mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-02-2009

monteh is on a distinguished road
Love the 99 and almost bought one but got a new 3400 instead. Love the 3400 but now looking to get a larger Tartan or maybe a 115. I know a few 115 owners and they all have good things to say.

There appears to be a negative feeding frenzy going on in the forums about new Tartan/C&C products but I'm certainly not one of them. Great boats.
Old 03-02-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
All negative comments about Tartan and C&C have been wiped off this board as a result of a phone call from Tartan's CEO to Sailnets CEO. If you want to read the whole story check this thread. Then make up your own mind.
Old 03-03-2009
B'Causeican

Thanks

Camaraderie - I appreciate the detailed info and history you provided. I would be very interested in seeing the complete string you referred to. Can you post here? If not....specializedx2@yahoo.com I knew there had to be something as to why Tartan/C&C info was non-existent in the forums. The C&C 99 I'm looking at is a 2003. It appears to be in very good shape. Do you have insight as to the tell-tale signs of a poorly constructed C & C?

Thanks.

Spec
Old 03-03-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The link to the complete document is in the link I gave you or you may go to
Trans-Asian Axis

to directly download either the short or long version of the thread.

To be clear...I am only aware of a very few boats out of many hundreds which have claimed issues. There are other significant issues besides build quality which have been my primary focus but I must refrain from speaking of them here.
Old 03-03-2009

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
thread.

To be clear...I am only aware of a very few boats out of many hundreds which have claimed issues.
So net net a couple of boats have had problems and some folks feel they need to pick a part a vendor.

Let's get real - every manufacture has issues.

Spec -- Look at the boat you like -- if it surveys OK and you are comfortable with where C&C/Tartan are at from a corporate standpoint make your own decision.. don't rely on the chat board web hype.. there is lots of that on this mfg on this particular board

I have no vested interest in any of the manufactures or brands or people.. just a tired observer of watching a vendor flamed for no real documented and provable issue that spans multiple boats..
Old 03-03-2009
moderate?

Jon...you are DEAD wrong. Read the thread. Read the court cases. Read the mfr. lawsuits. Read the Osha and Workmens comp fines and judgements. A company is MORE than its' products alone. Yeah...there are some flames...this is the internet. But there is a pile of documented data and DECIDED court cases that is unprecedented as well. Read the thread...discard anything you think is not factual and digest the rest. Then tell me Spec should simply trust the marketing hype.
Old 03-04-2009
B'Causeican

C&C 99 owners opinions cont....

I appreciate everyone's info and feedback. Its a bit disheartening to read the string about the mismanagement of this venerable brand. I suppose its no different than Chrysler or GM these days. Purchasing a boat is a difficult decision and I'd hope that a company would be there to stand behind its products. A bad purchase decision made on a boat has great implications and its far more difficult to sell a boat than a car should an owner decide he's made the wrong choice. svsirius makes a good point in his/her response. Its buyer beware. So....I've got more research to do before I go forward. Be back soon with my progress.
Old 03-05-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Jon...you are DEAD wrong. Read the thread. Read the court cases. Read the mfr. lawsuits. Read the Osha and Workmens comp fines and judgements. A company is MORE than its' products alone. Yeah...there are some flames...this is the internet. But there is a pile of documented data and DECIDED court cases that is unprecedented as well. Read the thread...discard anything you think is not factual and digest the rest. Then tell me Spec should simply trust the marketing hype.
sorry, but what does any of that have to do with buying a 2003?