SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

C&C 39 Northeast?

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Hhallgring 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am considering a purchase of mid-80s C&C 39 Northeast. It looks like a great boat for my needs; upgrading from a 1980 C&C 34.

Does anyone have any information they can share on this boat? Recommendations?

Thanks.

#2 ·
There is one of these across from us in our marina. It's an interesting boat, though definitely of the IOR era. Large powerful rig, large headsails make for somewhat difficult shorthanded sailing, and you'll have to avoid pressing her downwind in a breeze. But jib furling and careful sail & course selection will make these issues manageable.

Though this is a C&C design, it was built at the Bruckmann yard nearby. Bruckmann acted as C&C's custom builder in those days. The example at our marina is in reasonable shape, there is a surprising amount of teak on deck (a toecap covering the hull deck joint, teak decking in the cockpit seats and floor, the companionway hatch) - quite a bit of upkeep there.

They are a sharp looking boat - but take a careful look below to see if you're truly gaining any practical space. I believe there is an enclosed aft cabin, so that will be an improvement even though privacy is truly an illusion in pretty well any boat under 50+ feet.

Construction should be solid,- though I'm sure it's a cored hull our neighbour has reported no issues, and you've already lived with a cored hull in your 34.

My main concern other than general condition is whether or not you'd be gaining a lot interior wise. You'll definitely gain in the sailing department.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.