Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009

Archwood is on a distinguished road
Question C&C Buying

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a sail boat as a live-aboard. My wife and I have discussed this and we are both in agreement!!!

We are looking to purchase the sailboat and moor it in Victoria BC, where I will attend school and my wife will work. Most of the sailing we expect to do will be in the Gulf Islands or Desolation Sound. We may however, at some point consider sailing to Hawaii or even further.

We have looked at many different boats, however, after looking at an older Hunter Legend 37 my wife really likes the idea of an island berth. I don't think we want a Hunter (not sure why). We began looking at the C&C 37+ because of its performance qualities as well as the fact it has an island berth. We are now considering buying a C & C 37+ from Eastern USA and hauling across the country.

I'd like some advice / opinions / suggestions. Are there some design concerns about these boats that I should be aware of?

you can e-mail me at mhargrave at gmail dot com

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
My recollection is that these boats pretty much ended the C&C reign as premier racer-cruisers, with a lot of construction and design problems. The marque just died...if you haven't you should take this subject to the C&C owners discussion group.
Old 10-27-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I know that at least on 37+ has done the Vic-Maui a time or two, but essentially these boats are not from C&Cs finest era. Whether it was quality issues or simply bad economics that ultimately caused the "old" C&C's demise is debatable.

The 37+ is a sexy looking boat, no doubt, but based on SF's observations you should probably be extra vigilant about surveying and inspection.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-10-2009

svpegasus is on a distinguished road
liveaboard

Hi, I have a 1979 38 Landfall, that my girlfriend and I live aboard in Puget Sound. It is very comfortable for the 2 of us with the exception of the shower is to small to use on a regular basis. We both love it.
Aboard Pegasus