Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009

adaptable23 is on a distinguished road
Smile C&C Shark Mast

Hi , I am wondering how to get the mast down to trailer my C&C shark. Anyone have any feedback? I am not sure how to release the stays/shrouds.

What is the best way...I guess you also have to remove the boom.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Yes, the boom should come off first - should be a simple matter of a pin/bolt at the gooseneck... or as I recall our Shark had a sliding gooseneck in which case just lift it to the exit slot for the slugs and it should lift out there.

The Shark has swept back shrouds so the backstay can come off right away without having the mast fall down, so you can get that out of the way too. Then I'd loosen the lower shroud turnbuckles until you can detach the pins from the chainplates. Replace the pins in the turnbuckle and reinsert the cotter pins for safekeeping.

Now you need someone or something to support the mast as you loosen and detach the upper shrouds and forestay. I forget whether the mast base will want to tip out forward or aft - probably aft. It should be resting on the support channel across a bolt - it should lift off, but it's possible the bolt passes through a hole (rather than a slot) in which case it (the bolt) will need to be removed too (sorry - it's been nearly 30 years since we had her)

It may be possible for a couple of guys to manhandle the mast - it won't be that heavy but it will have significant leverage while it's still standing up. Don't underestimate it's desire to drop down. But still, it's small enough you may not need any sort of crane. However, if you can get a truck with a small Hyab or some such, (or alongside a pier crane) then it's easier and safer.

For transport you can lay it over the bow & stern pulpits (if present), allowing the spreaders to rest (angled down) on the cabin top. Place/tape some foam to avoid scarring the gel coat during transit. Strap the rig down securely for the trip. Alternatively you may be able to lash the rig below the hull on the trailer - it's relatively short but you may still have less overhang of the tow by carrying it high - you can set it up so the extension beyond the boat is over the hitch and truck.

Should be fairly straightforward and manageable.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 10-27-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-08-2009

adaptable23 is on a distinguished road
Thank you. I have been running around and did not get a chance to get back to you. This feedback is appreciated. I will print this off and put on my thinking cap as I use this to guide me. Perfect. Thanks again !!