New (to me) C&C 24
I posted this in the "introduction" thread. Hopefully hear in the C&C "room", more folks with direct experience will notice. Thanks in advance!
After more years then I care to count, I finally "found" a nice sailboat, Ariel, a C&C 24 in need of a little love. Ariel is now in Rye, NY, but will be moved down to the Delaware and eventually on to the northern Chesapeake.
I have a few questions for some one with experience on C&C's:
1. Bilges - There is a manual bilge pump in the starboard rear cockpit. It draws from the front bottom on the bilge. However, it leaves approximately 2~3 inches of water. That wouldn't be a huge problem, except that it seems to fill up in just a few days. The source is not apparent.
a. Have others had this issue? Any suggestions for locating / fixing the leak?
b. Has anyone found a bilge pump configuration which removes most of the waters?
2. Gel coat cracking - There is a fair amount of gel coat cracking, although it appears mainly cosmetic. Is there any way to repair / improve the surface? (with out spending $$$$$$)
3. Ventilation. - The boat is "stock", with out any vents, which means it get pretty stuffy inside. What are people's recommendations?.
Any and all comments and suggestions welcome,
I have a C&C 24 too and have enjoyed sailing it in Lake Michigan this season after it spent over 10 years as a yard derelict.
As you have probably noticed, the manual bilge pump pickup is not in the "slot" area below the removable keel floorboard but forward of the keel trunk.
The water in this area comes from any number of sources and, unless you crawl around in the boat during a downpour (and maybe not even then), finding the source(s) of leakage will be difficult.
I solved the problem by installing a small (500 GPH) Atwood automatic/manual pump which is just the right size to sit relatively flat on the bottom of the bilge forward of the the most forward keel bolt. The 3/4" outlet hose runs aft under the cabin sole and exits next to the water tank on the starboard side - high near the molded-in stripe.
While my installation was made easier since I had to remove the cabin sole due to water damage, but I think you could route the hose the same way I did. This setup removes all but about 1" or so of any water. It takes it down further but then the contents of the hose drains back when the pump shuts off.
The pump I used is here: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|299222|84462|316441&id=123388
Why only 500 gph? Because it fits the area and is really only to remove the last bit of water. I plan on installing a manually-controlled monster pump higher in the hull to be used in an emergency.
My boat has a vent in the forward part of the cabin that we leave open all the time. I think is the Beckson C-6 Vent O Mate (4" hole required) which only costs about $26. Mine has the optional (another $26.) stainless cover which is probably needed because the plastic one is too easy to break.
It works well at keeping the boat ventillated when closed but you'd want a couple of these to make it confortable for sleeping when everything else is closed up.
I haven't checked, but both of these items may be available here on Sailnet as well.
They work great in the slightest breeze, 24/7, and have no electrics to fail like the spendy motorized ones.
If you take green water over the top or are just washing down with pressure water you just close the vent from the inside
and the spray is kept out. It is deceptively-simple engineering, and well designed for the purpose, imho.
I also have the sturdy ss tops, after having the plastic one break on our prior boat after years of UV exposure. Of course dropping a spinnaker pole on it did not help things much. :)
Thanks. This is exactly type of feedback I'm looking for.
I've seen the Beckson vents, but was not sure how well they work.
Regarding the bilge, the keel bolts are regularly wet, and have rust. (Surprisingly little considering, but still there). I also fly, and in aviation, rust is an absolute "no-no". Have you done any rust treatment or prevention? I was think of the old Navel Jelly. Bush off the surface rust, then past on the jelly.
Also, captainmurph, tell me more about your bilge pump. I expect to remove and refinish the sole, so routing a hose under it is an option, if you say there is room. How did you route it out the cabin into the starboard locker? Also, did you drill an outlet hole. or use an existing one?
I think you are mistaking discoloration for rust. The keel bolts and nuts are stainless steel. Once you have dewatered that area completely, give everything a good scrub with warm, soapy water with little bleach and look at them after everything is dry.
I think you'll find that they don't look the same.
I routed the 3/4" discharge hole along the inside of the hull out of the bilge and then diagonally over to starboard to enter the area between the inner liner and icebox area. I cut a hole there in the vertical part of the inner liner in that open storage area below the companionway. This was sized for installing one of those removable inspection/access plates (like the one in the aft area of the cockpit (transom).
This allowed me to grab and pull the hose further aft. I went into the lazarette and bored a hole next to the one there for the exit of the manual bilge pump hose and then routed up to a thru-hull. There were no existing holes in this area of the hull.
I'll see if I can snap a few pictures this weekend.
Thanks. Got it, I think.
We're planning on going out this weekend as well. Still in basic Familiarization & Shake-down mode.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:00 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012