C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012

kendrick2 is on a distinguished road
Re: C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years

Hey Joel,
Thanks for your response. I've been on the C&C owners site before and will definately try to check out the list serve although I'm not really sure what exactly that is. Thanks for the info on the windows
Hope to chat again
Nancy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Hi Nancy, if you have the flush mount windows, butyl tape is not going to do the job for you as it isn't adhesive enough. This is one of my summer projects as well, and I bought some GE stuff that they use for gluing windows into skyscrapers, it's UV stable, adhesive, flexible etc. I am travelling at the moment so can't remember exactly what it is, will take a look when I get home and let you know. Great boats the 24'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2012

Smile Re: C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years

Hi Paul,
I've done some reading and I agree with you re the butyl tape. I would be interested to know what it is you have found as an adhesive. \
I understand that the the fiberglass and plexiglass expand and contract at different rates and the adhesive needs to be flexible enough to accomodate both.
South shore yachts recomends an epoxy (MS590) that they say does that and I have found it from a wholesaler for aprox $50 per 40ml tube. SS says you need 1 tube per window. Unfortunately you need to buy the material from them (SS) to get the instalation instructions they offer but they're too pricey for my budget It also requires the use of an epoxy mixing gun which I have found for about $70.
I have already removed the windows and dropped them at a fabricator, I can get the windows fabricated in 3/8 plexiglass/acrylic (which is what they are) for $135 per window(not smoked) . $$$$$$$$
I can't really save much by skimping on the material so why take the risk of having to do it again????????
I have an article on port light replacement that is fairly detailed so when the material arrives I guess I'll give it my best shot
I will let you know how it goes and pass on whatever I learn
Hope to chat again
Thanks
Nancy
Old 06-13-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

I started to replace my windows and then cut a deal with the local plastics supplier so that I am going the prep work and he is doing the install. He also uses the GE product, but uses double sided glasing tape on the insie edge of the frame to hold the window and reduce the oozing of the adhesive. He also paints the inside edge of the plastic black so that from the outside you cant see any bubles or voids.
Old 06-14-2012

Yep, I read a similar thing regarding the glazing tape and painting it black (feathering I believe it is called). Just keeps everything tidy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2012

Question Re: C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years

Wow, I never even thought of seeing thru to the adhesive and I'm not even using the tinted stuff!
When you talk about the tape is that to hold everything in place until things cure?
I'd really like know the name of the GE adhesive you are going to use before I invest in the MS590
The windows are being cut and will be ready by Monday. One of the openings however came out a bit rougher than the other, Im going to sand it a bit???? I was afraid old adhesive might affect the bond. I'm not sure if I need to do more than that?
Old 06-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Congrats on your new 24, Join the site as jsaronson has posted above. It has pdfs of the manuals plus many projects accomnplished by owners of these great boats.

Good luck with her and keep us posted.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-15-2012

I will and thanks
Old 06-16-2012

It's GE Silpruf SCS2000. Structural silicone adhesive with +/-50% movement capacity. *disclaimer* I haven't actually used the stuff, but I am told it is the right stuff for the job.
I think it was under $20 for a 300ml tube and can be applied with a standard gun.

Last edited by PaulinVictoria; 06-16-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-16-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road

Hi Cap. She looks very nice indeed and you look very pleased with her
Enjoy it all
Cod