SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years

7K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  jlprice 
#1 ·
After sitting neglected for 9 years and a year-log renovation and repair, my C&C 24 - now named Carib Dreamer is snug inside a storage building after her first year sailing out of Saugatuck/Douglas on Lake Michigan.

While I have a list of projects to do this winter - including removing all topside hardware and toe rails for sealing and new topside paint - I am pleased with how much I enjoyed the comfort and seaworthiness of this fine craft.

While I didn't get the chance to make any trips and limited my sailing to 3-4 hours at a time after leaving the mouth of the Kalamazoo River, I found her sailing abilities were remarkable.

She pointed well and handled up to 6 foot seas with great stability and neutral helm. I used the main full or with one or two reefs depending on wind and found that she was very well balanced. I used the standard 70/100 reefable jib full most of the time, never got the 150? hanked on but did (see pictures) use the gennaker on a couple of occasions.

I did a lot of work to get this boat seaworthy including major hull repair on both sides, but it is solid and, with a tiller pilot addition and a bit more projects completed, is ready for venturing further afield in the spring.

I came to know this boat farily thoroughly during refit and would be glad to help any others who are tackling major project.

Captain Murphy
s/v Carib Dreamer
Saugatuck/Douglas

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Looks Good!

Capt Murf,
My congrats to you and your fine ship, I know all to well what you went through.
I have the blog below you, for locating other 35 MK1 owners. mine was also a yard case, the owner put her on the beach in 1995 and walked away. After 13+ years of neglect and new england weather I'm sure you can use your imagination of her condition. Your vessel looks really great and best of luck with her, I'm sure she will serve you well. I don't quite understand why people walk away from there boats, (I'm sure they have there reasons) but I'm glad that there are people in the world who see these boats and bring them back to life! Nice Job again!
Dave.

#8 ·
Hi Captain,
You have done a beautiful job!!
I too have a C&C 24'. Just bought her this may (Starting the bucket list). She is a 1984 made in Canada. I am new to boating, sailing and to boat ownership, so I will apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge. I have been out on the water twice so far after a 2 day basic keel class. I'm hooked!
It was love at first site for me, I don't know what it was I just loved her, the way she felt. She definately has character.
While she is in pretty good shape as far as I can tell, there are many projects I have in mind for her
The first thing I have started is window repair. Removed the port side today, cracked the window while removing so I will be looking to have new windows made and then what I believe is epoxying them in I have the flush mount windows and was wondering if you have any experience repairing or replacing the windows that you might share with me.
I also saw in a older post that you have a manual for the boat that you might be willing to copy or email??.
I am new to sailnet and am going to tryt o figure out how things work here
Looking foward to chatting:)
Nancy

#9 ·
Nancy:

Congratulations!

I'll be happy to help you in any way I can, but don't visit Sailnet as often as I'd like.

Instead, contact me directly at sailorman@mascom.com and I will provide anything I can.

I'll have to look up the paperwork (manual) and scan it into a pdf for it.

I think that, if you do research on replacing windows, you'll find that the use of butyl tape to bed the wind as it is set into the frame is deemed to be the best solution. You will want to avoid using the typical marine adhesives - particularly 3M 4200 or 5200.

Here's some information on the subject. If you haven't visited the C&C Owner's site yet, this will give you a source of additional information to supplement what you can find on Sailnet. Portlight Replacement

#12 ·
Hi Nancy, if you have the flush mount windows, butyl tape is not going to do the job for you as it isn't adhesive enough. This is one of my summer projects as well, and I bought some GE stuff that they use for gluing windows into skyscrapers, it's UV stable, adhesive, flexible etc. I am travelling at the moment so can't remember exactly what it is, will take a look when I get home and let you know. Great boats the 24' :)

#13 ·
Hi Paul,
I've done some reading and I agree with you re the butyl tape. I would be interested to know what it is you have found as an adhesive. \
I understand that the the fiberglass and plexiglass expand and contract at different rates and the adhesive needs to be flexible enough to accomodate both.
South shore yachts recomends an epoxy (MS590) that they say does that and I have found it from a wholesaler for aprox $50 per 40ml tube. SS says you need 1 tube per window. Unfortunately you need to buy the material from them (SS) to get the instalation instructions they offer but they're too pricey for my budget It also requires the use of an epoxy mixing gun which I have found for about $70.
I have already removed the windows and dropped them at a fabricator, I can get the windows fabricated in 3/8 plexiglass/acrylic (which is what they are) for $135 per window(not smoked) . $$$$$$$$
I can't really save much by skimping on the material so why take the risk of having to do it again????????
I have an article on port light replacement that is fairly detailed so when the material arrives I guess I'll give it my best shot
I will let you know how it goes and pass on whatever I learn
Hope to chat again
Thanks
Nancy

#14 ·
I started to replace my windows and then cut a deal with the local plastics supplier so that I am going the prep work and he is doing the install. He also uses the GE product, but uses double sided glasing tape on the insie edge of the frame to hold the window and reduce the oozing of the adhesive. He also paints the inside edge of the plastic black so that from the outside you cant see any bubles or voids.

#16 ·
Wow, I never even thought of seeing thru to the adhesive and I'm not even using the tinted stuff!
When you talk about the tape is that to hold everything in place until things cure?
I'd really like know the name of the GE adhesive you are going to use before I invest in the MS590
The windows are being cut and will be ready by Monday. One of the openings however came out a bit rougher than the other, Im going to sand it a bit???? I was afraid old adhesive might affect the bond. I'm not sure if I need to do more than that?
:)

#17 ·
Congrats on your new 24, Join the site as jsaronson has posted above. It has pdfs of the manuals plus many projects accomnplished by owners of these great boats.

Good luck with her and keep us posted.

Dave

#21 · (Edited)
Capt Murph, you blog was a nice read and informative. I have also sent you an email requesting a manual when you do get time. I am working on redoing my new to me C&C 24 (presently still owned by my dad that I am purchasing from him but working on it as my own since as soon as he gets his new boat she is all mine). It has been fun working on her and you really learn your boat by doing so. I should have taken more pictures as I have been doing the changes but I haven't. But Kendrick I can say having new windows made was easier then trying to redo the old windows. Mine are installed outside of the old frames. Plus following any water leaks can keep going on. One tip, the C&C's didn't have backing plates under any of the hardware, I would recomend making some as you go. Especially for the stantions.

#23 ·
Congratulations and nice job Captain Murph and Nancy.

We too have a 1975 C&C 38 that we've had now for 4 years. It was well neglected when we got it and we've been working on it ever since. We've got several pages worth of a refit list - mostly mechanical. No major issues just a lot of updating and repair. I want to start on the cosmetic side now.

We love how the boat handles and performs. A great sailing boat.

Check out MaineSail's website. He has detailed instructions on how to do fixes such as portlights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.