SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   C & C (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c-c/)
-   -   C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c-c/70167-c-c-24-former-yard-derelict-first-sailing-season-afloat-10-years.html)

captainmurph 11-25-2010 11:42 AM

C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years

2 Attachment(s)
After sitting neglected for 9 years and a year-log renovation and repair, my C&C 24 - now named Carib Dreamer is snug inside a storage building after her first year sailing out of Saugatuck/Douglas on Lake Michigan.

While I have a list of projects to do this winter - including removing all topside hardware and toe rails for sealing and new topside paint - I am pleased with how much I enjoyed the comfort and seaworthiness of this fine craft.

While I didn't get the chance to make any trips and limited my sailing to 3-4 hours at a time after leaving the mouth of the Kalamazoo River, I found her sailing abilities were remarkable.

She pointed well and handled up to 6 foot seas with great stability and neutral helm. I used the main full or with one or two reefs depending on wind and found that she was very well balanced. I used the standard 70/100 reefable jib full most of the time, never got the 150? hanked on but did (see pictures) use the gennaker on a couple of occasions.

I did a lot of work to get this boat seaworthy including major hull repair on both sides, but it is solid and, with a tiller pilot addition and a bit more projects completed, is ready for venturing further afield in the spring.

I came to know this boat farily thoroughly during refit and would be glad to help any others who are tackling major project.

Captain Murphy
s/v Carib Dreamer
Saugatuck/Douglas

chef2sail 11-25-2010 12:23 PM

She looks great....More to come next season I am sure. Congrats

Dave

mgmhead 11-25-2010 01:08 PM

Murph,

Looking good. Congrats on the rehab, glad to know she's such a pleasure. Enjoy!

sinead 11-26-2010 11:44 AM

way to go and keep flying the tricolour. The first boat is always the best :-)

captainmurph 11-27-2010 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinead (Post 670791)
way to go and keep flying the tricolour. The first boat is always the best :-)

If you're careful in upgrading, they just keep getting better! I think this is about #8 since 1985.

dave316 11-27-2010 07:52 AM

Looks Good!

Capt Murf,
My congrats to you and your fine ship, I know all to well what you went through.
I have the blog below you, for locating other 35 MK1 owners. mine was also a yard case, the owner put her on the beach in 1995 and walked away. After 13+ years of neglect and new england weather I'm sure you can use your imagination of her condition. Your vessel looks really great and best of luck with her, I'm sure she will serve you well. I don't quite understand why people walk away from there boats, (I'm sure they have there reasons) but I'm glad that there are people in the world who see these boats and bring them back to life! Nice Job again!
Dave.

PaulinVictoria 11-28-2010 03:22 AM

Top job, she looks fantastic! What are the dimensions of your genny?

kendrick2 06-12-2012 04:47 PM

Re: C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years

Hi Captain,
You have done a beautiful job!!
I too have a C&C 24'. Just bought her this may (Starting the bucket list). She is a 1984 made in Canada. I am new to boating, sailing and to boat ownership, so I will apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge. I have been out on the water twice so far after a 2 day basic keel class. I'm hooked!
It was love at first site for me, I don't know what it was I just loved her, the way she felt. She definately has character.
While she is in pretty good shape as far as I can tell, there are many projects I have in mind for her
The first thing I have started is window repair. Removed the port side today, cracked the window while removing so I will be looking to have new windows made and then what I believe is epoxying them in I have the flush mount windows and was wondering if you have any experience repairing or replacing the windows that you might share with me.
I also saw in a older post that you have a manual for the boat that you might be willing to copy or email??.
I am new to sailnet and am going to tryt o figure out how things work here
Looking foward to chatting:)
Nancy

captainmurph 06-13-2012 09:00 AM

Nancy:

Congratulations!

I'll be happy to help you in any way I can, but don't visit Sailnet as often as I'd like.

Instead, contact me directly at sailorman@mascom.com and I will provide anything I can.

I'll have to look up the paperwork (manual) and scan it into a pdf for it.

I think that, if you do research on replacing windows, you'll find that the use of butyl tape to bed the wind as it is set into the frame is deemed to be the best solution. You will want to avoid using the typical marine adhesives - particularly 3M 4200 or 5200.

Here's some information on the subject. If you haven't visited the C&C Owner's site yet, this will give you a source of additional information to supplement what you can find on Sailnet. Portlight Replacement

jsaronson 06-13-2012 11:05 AM

Congrats and fair winds. You might want to join cncphotoalbum.com, the forum for everything C&C. There are manuals, upgrade tips etc. and a GREAT listserve.
Joel