C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010

captainmurph is on a distinguished road
C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years

After sitting neglected for 9 years and a year-log renovation and repair, my C&C 24 - now named Carib Dreamer is snug inside a storage building after her first year sailing out of Saugatuck/Douglas on Lake Michigan.

While I have a list of projects to do this winter - including removing all topside hardware and toe rails for sealing and new topside paint - I am pleased with how much I enjoyed the comfort and seaworthiness of this fine craft.

While I didn't get the chance to make any trips and limited my sailing to 3-4 hours at a time after leaving the mouth of the Kalamazoo River, I found her sailing abilities were remarkable.

She pointed well and handled up to 6 foot seas with great stability and neutral helm. I used the main full or with one or two reefs depending on wind and found that she was very well balanced. I used the standard 70/100 reefable jib full most of the time, never got the 150? hanked on but did (see pictures) use the gennaker on a couple of occasions.

I did a lot of work to get this boat seaworthy including major hull repair on both sides, but it is solid and, with a tiller pilot addition and a bit more projects completed, is ready for venturing further afield in the spring.

I came to know this boat farily thoroughly during refit and would be glad to help any others who are tackling major project.

Captain Murphy
s/v Carib Dreamer
Saugatuck/Douglas
Attached Thumbnails
C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years-img_2177.jpg   C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years-img_2243.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
She looks great....More to come next season I am sure. Congrats

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-25-2010
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Murph,

Looking good. Congrats on the rehab, glad to know she's such a pleasure. Enjoy!
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 11-26-2010

sinead is on a distinguished road
way to go and keep flying the tricolour. The first boat is always the best :-)
Old 11-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinead View Post
way to go and keep flying the tricolour. The first boat is always the best :-)
If you're careful in upgrading, they just keep getting better! I think this is about #8 since 1985.
Old 11-27-2010

dave316 is on a distinguished road
Cool Looks Good!

Capt Murf,
My congrats to you and your fine ship, I know all to well what you went through.
I have the blog below you, for locating other 35 MK1 owners. mine was also a yard case, the owner put her on the beach in 1995 and walked away. After 13+ years of neglect and new england weather I'm sure you can use your imagination of her condition. Your vessel looks really great and best of luck with her, I'm sure she will serve you well. I don't quite understand why people walk away from there boats, (I'm sure they have there reasons) but I'm glad that there are people in the world who see these boats and bring them back to life! Nice Job again!
Dave.
Old 11-28-2010

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Top job, she looks fantastic! What are the dimensions of your genny?

Old 06-12-2012

kendrick2 is on a distinguished road
Re: C&C 24 Former Yard Derelict - First Sailing Season Afloat in 10 Years

Hi Captain,
You have done a beautiful job!!
I too have a C&C 24'. Just bought her this may (Starting the bucket list). She is a 1984 made in Canada. I am new to boating, sailing and to boat ownership, so I will apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge. I have been out on the water twice so far after a 2 day basic keel class. I'm hooked!
It was love at first site for me, I don't know what it was I just loved her, the way she felt. She definately has character.
While she is in pretty good shape as far as I can tell, there are many projects I have in mind for her
The first thing I have started is window repair. Removed the port side today, cracked the window while removing so I will be looking to have new windows made and then what I believe is epoxying them in I have the flush mount windows and was wondering if you have any experience repairing or replacing the windows that you might share with me.
I also saw in a older post that you have a manual for the boat that you might be willing to copy or email??.
I am new to sailnet and am going to tryt o figure out how things work here
Looking foward to chatting
Nancy
Old 06-13-2012

Nancy:

Congratulations!

I'll be happy to help you in any way I can, but don't visit Sailnet as often as I'd like.

Instead, contact me directly at sailorman@mascom.com and I will provide anything I can.

I'll have to look up the paperwork (manual) and scan it into a pdf for it.

I think that, if you do research on replacing windows, you'll find that the use of butyl tape to bed the wind as it is set into the frame is deemed to be the best solution. You will want to avoid using the typical marine adhesives - particularly 3M 4200 or 5200.

Here's some information on the subject. If you haven't visited the C&C Owner's site yet, this will give you a source of additional information to supplement what you can find on Sailnet. Portlight Replacement
Old 06-13-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Congrats and fair winds. You might want to join cncphotoalbum.com, the forum for everything C&C. There are manuals, upgrade tips etc. and a GREAT listserve.
Joel