Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
In addition to what Rich said. Move your cars back one or 2 spots. Looks like you have power in the pics but I can't imagine you'd be pointing very well with such a round sail. Moving the car back will allow you to sheet harder.

The main looks good (the little we can see of it). Honestly I wouldn't worry about that much backwinding unless it happened in light air. moderate to heavy air, you're going to have backwinding.

On other thing, what's with the crew? Weight up and out of the cockpit, keep it concentrated and abeam of the keel. It looks like the pic was taken after a tack, so take this with a grain of salt.

One other thing in light air. I usually back off on my rig tension and rake the mast a little more. This moves the C/E aft inducing a little more weather helm and giving a better feel to the boat. A "dead stick" feel usually means over trimmed in light air. Ease sheet, foot, sail fast, then point and trim in.
Old 02-25-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Most notable on the pics of your boat beating is the lack of tell tales .... You simply cant set up, shape up and race a boat without a FULL set up of tell tales

Without tell tales you are left only 'guessing' and those guesses are usually wrong.
And as the other poster noted your genoa foot is too loose for the wind conditions --- the telltales would so indicate that.

Suggest you first go back to square one and begin with ArvelGentry.com ---->magazine articles and study the 'sequence' of 4 articles listed in a previous post.

:-)

Last edited by RichH; 02-25-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2011

ondinesail is on a distinguished road
We had no wind and racing was cancelled yesterday. Will need to wait another week to try some of the suggestions all have offered.
Old 03-06-2011

Replying to Rich H re: tell tales

RichH
Regarding your two points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Most notable on the pics of your boat beating is the lack of tell tales .... You simply cant set up, shape up and race a boat without a FULL set up of tell tales

There is a picture of the boat reaching, not sure what you are looking at. I agree regarding tell tales. We need more tell tales and shape lines than we have on the sails. Its not my boat.

And as the other poster noted your genoa foot is too loose for the wind conditions --- the telltales would so indicate that.

In the picture, we had dropped the Light No 1 to about 3/4 height to help the spinnaker on this broad reach. Given our rating vs the balance of the fleet we need to fly every stitch we can. The foot will always be loose in such a partial hoist position unless I am missing something. :-)
Old 03-06-2011

Results from this weeks racing

Thanks to all the forum members for the suggestions. We had winds of 15kn gusting to 18kn yesterday. We first set up with an extra hard forestay, then added prebend with the baby stay to get about 1.5in, perhaps more at the masthead. This was half the range on the babystay and I figured we could add/subtract from there. Most of the bend appeared above the spreaders. Hoisting the main, we laid on max outhaul. We sailed under main alone for a bit and had much improved shape. We were not satisfied with the bottom panel on the main. The sail had been recut to accept full battens. It appeared that either the lower batten is too long or set in its pocket with too much tension. Either way there is too much draft in the lower panel. We tried a jury rig cunningham but it was inconclusive. A proper purchase is on order. Experiments with the vang were inconclusive. A better vang will be rigged next week, but the leech above the top batten may need some attention from the sailmaker. We left the prebend as set although a bit more than recommended by forum.

We tried several ideas from the forum on the genoa. We set the furling 150 which was too much sail for the conditions. If the roller furler had been rigged we would have been well to reduce to about a 110. But given the tools at hand, we moved the carts back as far as possible to flatten the sail getting improved performance as the sail became flatter. The draft moved substantially forward in the sail and the leech looked far better. We had good drive with the sail being trimmed a bit looser, as suggested. The main was totally backwinded in many of the puffs. But with the cart lower, we heeled less had less helm and drove well most of the race. The main should have been reduced to the first reef points in my opinion.

Owner took all this in (speedo and helm presure were obviously better). I had given him a copy of the materials from RichH and Jackdale. I think we are going to get better from here. One more frostbite race, then the boat gets hauled prior to the season's first race in in the sound.

Again I am very appreciative of all the suggestions and assistance.
Old 03-07-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you guys made some improvements. That's great. Around 15kts is the usual time to change to a #2 if you have it, depending on the boat. Does the owner have a #3?
Old 03-07-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Really glad every thing seems to be getting better.

If the sail is going into the sailmaker, have them install a cringle for a cunningham.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-08-2011

ZZ- we don't have a #2 or 3 yet.
Jack - we should have the cunningham rigged next race.

Cheers all
Old 03-26-2011
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
What is your mainsheet configuration? On my C&C designed Newport 41 the 5:1 mainsheet needs to be tensioned with a winch to get it flat enough to not have a bubble in it along the luff. Many boats only have 5:1 with no winch to grind. If you can't get the mainsheet tension up you will need to tension both the mainsheet and the vang to help pull the sail flat.
Old 03-26-2011

I can't recall off hand, I think its a 7:1 purchase. Let me check with the owner. But this is a real interesting idea. Basically though I think the bottom panel in the main is blown out and the genoa leads aren't wide enough for the the size of the jib. The baby stay and forestay tension adjustments we made helped some by getting proper bend in mast. Cart setting changes on the light 150 also helped a bunch. Thanks for the idea. Ribaut Cup next weekend. Tougher competition/longer course. New bottom paint. We shall see!