SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Old C&C teak table refinish

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kiltmadoc 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if original teak trimmed table on 1980 C&C would have been oiled or varnished. I have mine out and lightly sanded, the way it fouls sandpaper makes me think varnish, but sure does not have that look. Which is better to refinish. Dave

#2 ·
If you are talking about the cabin table that drops down to form the starboard bed, then it's varnish. At least that's what mine (1981 C&C 32) is finished in.

#3 ·
Put some teak oil on it and let that dry and soak in.
Wipe down with acetone or alcohol a week later and then
Put on up to 10 coats of your favorite varnish.
The finish should last for years inside the cabin.

I don't use varnish for exterior wood though.

#5 ·
Use lots of sandpaper or clean the paper as you sand. even new teak will clog the paper. Don't think you need to go finer then 220 for a nice finish. it takes quite a few coats of finish to fill the grain

#6 ·
FWIW, my cousins, who restore wood boats for a living, gave me the following advice when they helped to re-do our cabin sole (they did all the cutting, my wife and i did all the varnishing):
1. Dilute the varnish with turpentine using a 80:20 ratio (80 parts varnish, 20 parts turpentine), this helps it flow better
2. Use a very low nap roller brush to apply (Don Casey's book doesn't mention this, but it worked like a charm). Roll very slowly.
3. The recommendation for the floors was 3 coats of high gloss epiphanes followed by 3 coats of rubbed-effect epiphanes
4. Between coats, we sanded with 320 grit foam-backed sandpaper, and then followed that with tack cloth. After the tack cloth, we rubbed down the wood with a damp/dry paper shop towel that had been soaked in turpentine

Here are the results (with one old floor board for comparison):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.