SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   C & C (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c-c/)
-   -   C&C 30 MkI inleted full width traveler (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c-c/76023-c-c-30-mki-inleted-full-width-traveler.html)

86Cal33 07-08-2011 11:32 AM

C&C 30 MkI inleted full width traveler

I used to own the above boat, hull No. 121 made in 1971/2 and am now looking to move back to a similar boat. My question: that boat had a traveler located just in front of the wheel pedestal which went the full width of the cockpit and was inleted into the seat on each side just behind each of the seat hatches. I have never seen that setup in any other 30 but can't believe it was unique. Does anyone have any information that would indicate the production run; hull no's from x to y that had that same configuration?

RobGallagher 07-08-2011 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 86Cal33 (Post 748016)
I used to own the above boat, hull No. 121 made in 1971/2 and am now looking to move back to a similar boat. My question: that boat had a traveler located just in front of the wheel pedestal which went the full width of the cockpit and was inleted into the seat on each side just behind each of the seat hatches. I have never seen that setup in any other 30 but can't believe it was unique. Does anyone have any information that would indicate the production run; hull no's from x to y that had that same configuration?

I have a "72 30 MK1. My traveler is located in front of the wheel. Here is a a photo. The traveler on this boat was originally located further aft, but was changed by the first owner when the wheel was installed.

I am pretty sure that the original set up was for the tiller and if a wheel was factory the traveler was moved further forward.

My boats traveler works out very well in it's current configuration. For single handing it's close enough to the wheel to be easily adjusted but far enough forward where crew and work it without getting in the way of the helmsperson. It's also far enough froward not to get in the way of entering or exiting the companionway. Also far enough the main sheet makes a nice back rest when sitting facing aft at anchor or on a relaxing point of sail.

My boat will be coming up for sale if you are interested PM me.

I have seen other boats with a similar configuration.

86Cal33 07-09-2011 12:06 AM

Thanks for the reply Rob. You're right. The traveler for the first boats with a tiller was located on what might be called an extension of the cockpit coamings at the rear of the cockpit. And what your owner did has been done by many others. But your traveler sits on top of the seat (level) and just aft of the bridge deck. The one I'm describing lay immediately in front of the pedestal, just aft of the cockpit seat hatches and inletted into the seat so that the top of the traveler was the same height as the seat top. And so that had to be molded that way by the factory. Which again makes it so unusual, because it couldn't have been a run of one and yet I've never seen such an arrangement on any other 30 and I've seen a lot of them. I was hoping that someong that used to work for C&C would see my posting and perhaps they will still. I thought there used to be a place for such on the C&C Photo Album site but don't see it now. Actually, C&C on some of the later 30's did place a short traveler just in front of the pedestal and low, but which traversed only the opening between the seats. And that can work if one has a good solid vang which also works better with the later models which raised the boom up a foot. If you should run across one like my old one, I hope you'll keep me in mind. In the meantime, when you sell yours, how'd you like to buy a lovely 86Cal33, full race with all the bells and whistles? Regards, David Nichol Newport News, Virginia

RobGallagher 07-09-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86Cal33 (Post 748191)
Thanks for the reply Rob. You're right. The traveler for the first boats with a tiller was located on what might be called an extension of the cockpit coamings at the rear of the cockpit. And what your owner did has been done by many others. But your traveler sits on top of the seat (level) and just aft of the bridge deck. The one I'm describing lay immediately in front of the pedestal, just aft of the cockpit seat hatches and inletted into the seat so that the top of the traveler was the same height as the seat top. And so that had to be molded that way by the factory. Which again makes it so unusual, because it couldn't have been a run of one and yet I've never seen such an arrangement on any other 30 and I've seen a lot of them. I was hoping that someong that used to work for C&C would see my posting and perhaps they will still. I thought there used to be a place for such on the C&C Photo Album site but don't see it now. Actually, C&C on some of the later 30's did place a short traveler just in front of the pedestal and low, but which traversed only the opening between the seats. And that can work if one has a good solid vang which also works better with the later models which raised the boom up a foot. If you should run across one like my old one, I hope you'll keep me in mind. In the meantime, when you sell yours, how'd you like to buy a lovely 86Cal33, full race with all the bells and whistles? Regards, David Nichol Newport News, Virginia

I'll keep it in mind. If you exhaust your search for the exact model with the traveler, maybe we could work out a deal? Best of luck to you.

msmith10 08-23-2011 04:36 PM

I have a 77 c&c30. Hull #467. The traveler goes from coaming to coaming, just forward of the pedestal, recessed at about seat height. It sounds like it's the same as what you're describing. I love the system.

86Cal33 08-24-2011 01:00 PM

Thanks for that note. Isn't that crazy, to have that span in time with that configuration but with so many built in between without it. Makes no sense. I was hoping and continue to hope that someone with factory knowledge could comment on the config, how many were built (hull no's?) and when. That's probably too optimistic. If you ever decide to sell yours, keep me in mind. Regards, Dave Nichol, 160 Yeardley Dr., Newport News, VA 23601 sailbotnic@aol.com

jtsails 10-06-2011 02:03 PM

The '72 30 that we used to have had the inlet-ed style traveler that you are describing. It was located just in front of the pedestal and was full width.
James

routes 11-21-2011 08:49 PM

1st Timer

I have a C&C Mk I, 1973 Hull #194 with that configuration but am unable to upload the photo, any help?