SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   C & C (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c-c/)
-   -   C&C 26 wire halyard replacement (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c-c/81521-c-c-26-wire-halyard-replacement.html)

ismwo 12-07-2011 03:39 PM

C&C 26 wire halyard replacement

I am in planning to replace the main & jib halyards on my 1978 C&C 26 this winter. Currently have original wire to rope style but would like to go to all rope if possible. Wondering if anyone has done this and if the existing masthead sheaves can accept an all rope halyard or if they have to be replaced?

If the masthead sheaves have to be replaced is it a big job?

Also wondering if anyone has specific recommendations on a supplier or line brand?

Faster 12-07-2011 03:46 PM

Generally if the rope will pass through you'll be OK... in rare instances the sheave is wire dimensioned only... but if you currently have wire/rope splices and the rope passes through you should be fine.

Look for a low stretch line, (several makes available) expect to pay $2/ft or more for the good stuff....

chef2sail 12-08-2011 04:16 AM

We did this replacement two years ago on our C&C 35 MKIII, We replaced the wire rope splice with New England ropes T-9000 low stretch Dyneema core. Could have used Sta Set also.

As far as the sheeves, we went down on size diameter on the lines and have had no problem fitting in the old sheeves. I would replace the sheeves the next time you bring the mast down and it is a fairlry simnple job.

BTW. we have noticed raising our main to be so much easier with the all line halyard.

Dave

Dave

rox33861 05-07-2012 03:06 PM

Re: C&C 26 wire halyard replacement

so what did you find when you pulled the masthead off?

jlprice 05-09-2012 01:21 PM

I'm coming into this thread late but I'll add my two cents anyway. We bought a 1975 38 ft C&C in 2008 which had wire halyards. The wire halyards had plenty of meat hooks and I would continually cut my hands on them. That winter we took the mast off and replaced them with the T-900, which is very low stretch. They work great, but I probably didn't need to go to that extreme of a halyard. Stayset-x would probably be plenty. You'll have to learn how to put an eye in double braid line but there are plenty of directions available.

The sheaves at the masthead were tapered for the wire so I put them on a lathe and reshaped the groove to a U shape with a rotary file. They also had worn brass bushings that I replaced. The bushings are easy to replace. A good hardware store will have them. Find the right size and push them in with a press or a vice.

I haven't had any trouble with them since.

Faster 05-09-2012 01:57 PM

I heartily recommend getting used to tying halyards on once you switch to all rope. There's no need for that heavy headboard shackle on the end, and no real reason you can't tie a halyard onto a furler swivel head either. Save some coin as well. If clearance is an issue there are compact knots that untie easily.

Also much easier to trim off a bit to adjust for chafe over time.