SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   C & C (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c-c/)
-   -   Bent Rudder Post (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c-c/91217-bent-rudder-post.html)

dhendry1316 08-22-2012 12:40 AM

Bent Rudder Post

Has anyone tried to straighten a rudder post, (C&C 34 1980). Anchor dragged and rudder dance on some rocks. It bent aft, and I had to file the top back corner of the rudder about 1" so that it would pass under the stern and I could get steerage and get home. The huge stainless washers are gapped about 1/16" on forward edge and back edge is tight. Looks like it bent high up. Rudder just has a small 2" chip in bottom aft. How heavy would the rudder be if I released it in the water, into my dinghy maybe.
tks

Capt. Gary Randall 08-22-2012 12:56 AM

Re: Bent Rudder Post

hello there, sounds like you've got quite a predicament.
Where are you located?

Capt. Gary Randall 08-22-2012 12:57 AM

why don't we meet on chat if you're still online

dhendry1316 08-22-2012 01:04 AM

In Nanaimo BC,
How do we get to chat

Capt. Gary Randall 08-22-2012 01:08 AM

it should be showing on the bottom right-hand corner of the page as Gen. chat it shows that you are online
is just a little easier to talk on chat but we can do it hereI left you a chat request

Dave Montgomery 06-25-2013 02:40 AM

One late night, whilst motoring full ahead in my 38 Landfall with brain left back at port, we hit a floating telephone pole mid-point out in Puget Sound. It was so big it brought this heavy C&C almost to a complete stop from about 6kts. Bent rudder badly off to one side. Limped into closest port. No hull damage (no leaks) so we lowered the rudder and off we went for a week in the San Juans. Turned/sailed good in direction, not so in the other. When back at home we pulled out and saw the degree of damage. Rudder was pulled and taken to a big machine shop where they put in on a press and bent it back. Did not damage the rudder except the leading edge (hell of a dent) and the bent rod. Back in boat and fine from then on.

dhendry1316 06-26-2013 10:45 AM

Fixed mine in local yard when I had boat out for bottom job. Used a come along and strain guage attached to keel at bottom tip to pull it forward. Worked with about 2 hours labor, Did not have to drop it. Fiberglassed to small dent at the tip.

tigerzilly 07-03-2013 11:45 AM

My rudderstock is slightly bent. I took it to a machine shop but the bend was too close to the top of the rudder to put on a press. I'm just living with it slightly bent. It's still usable.

Fstbttms 07-03-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhendry1316 (Post 912756)
How heavy would the rudder be if I released it in the water, into my dinghy maybe.

Most rudders are buoyant. Getting it out of the water can be a PITA though and it's much easier as 2-man job.