Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > C & C
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
27 vs 30

So, following on from the earlier 30 vs 33 thread, how about 27 vs 30? Seems that the 27 might provide a good compromise between size and affordability. There are plenty around, a good one is about $8-10k less than a good 30 footer.
I haven't seen any 30 footers that said "buy me", and don't want to be boatless if Tangerine sells (which is looking hopeful). I could pick up a 27 and get 75% of the advantages of the 30, at a fraction of the cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: 27 vs 30

In many ways a 27' boat has the advantages of its bigger sisters. Most have enough size for two cabins and an enclosed head. Most are large enough to install a little diesel w/o giving up too much room. Many are just big enough for standing headroom w/o looking too "boxy". And, moving up from a 24' to a 27' will probably give you almost twice as much "living space". On the other hand, 27' is pretty close to the bare minimum for these things. So often such a boat will feel a tad snug. A 30' boat will often feel quite a bit more comfortable, if only because it isn't right at the minimum necessary size. This is particularly true when it comes to aesthetics: a 27' boat is usually big enough to have standing headroom and still have descent lines, but slightly larger boats tend to be much better looking, IMHO.

But, as you said, a 27' boat will probably be cheaper to buy. Remember too, the costs associated with a boat usually scale better with its displacement than with its length. So, a 27' boat will be initially cheaper, cheaper to fit out, cheaper to maintain, cheaper to moor, et cetera; probably at least a third to a quarter cheaper for each of those categories (rather than the 10% the three-foot difference would imply). It might also be easier to find a slip for a 27 footer. In my marina (in SoCal) there are literally dozens of empty slips big enough to accommodate a a 27' boat (my Cal 2-27 is starting to feel lonely), but there isn't one slip open at the moment for a 30' boat.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 05-05-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

Hey Paul, it's been a long time since I sailed a 27', I used to race one many years ago.
I recall them being a fairly tender boat. Wasn't that something you were tryng to stay away from?
Slowbutsteady has layed it out pretty good, not much to add to that.
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 05-05-2013

Yeah, it's hard to tell, anything is going to seem stable after a 24' though. If only someone was selling an orange (or at least a nice brightly coloured) 30.
I think the Mk1 is fairly stiff, then they got progressively more tender through the other marks, with the MkIII and IV being the most tender.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-10-2013

A 27 is looking more likely, had a look at a few, MkI, II and III in various states of disrepair (like a lot of boats of that vintage). I think the MkII is going to be a good compromise between relative stiffness and ability in the lighter air. With a bit of bargaining I should be able to go from Tangerine to a MkII 27' for basically nothing extra. I figure that at least buys me some time until an orange 30' comes along

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.