SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Running rigging replacement

6K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  This Old Sailboat 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been busy much of this winter replacing the running rigging on our C22. I've been documenting it on my blog as I've gone along. Today, I published the first of a series of posts on the different parts of the project.

The first post is for a boom vang.

Added a post this morning for a five-part mainsail outhaul.

This week's installment is for a boom topping lift.

If you're anxious for posts about halyards and sheets, hang in there. I've had some delays finishing those so I'm dancing around the subject a bit. This week's article is about Making a foresail pennant.

I'm getting a little closer to the big reveal post. This week's post is about choosing line colors using a Running rigging color scheme.

This week's post is in preparation for a single-line jiffy reefing setup, DIY mast gates.

If you're going to replacing your wire/rope halyards for all rope and would like to upsize them to 5/16" or 8 mm, you'll want to check out this week's post about Oversize masthead sheaves. They're an easy replacement IF your masthead isn't a victim of galvanic corrosion, which I explain in another post added today.

This is the next to last installment in this series. This week, I discuss rigging an easy to trim boom downhaul to replace the standard equipment boom tie-down.

Wrapping up this series is a blog post on leading lines aft to the cockpit around a pop top with triple deck organizers to dual cam cleats.

I have about a dozen projects that I'm finishing up in preparation for our Spring launch, so I'm going to try to publish a new post on the blog every week that features another part of the refitting. I'll update this thread with the posts pertaining to the running rigging and maybe start new ones for the other types of projects.

If you're interested, check it out and subscribe using the Follow button. It's been fun and the results are great so far. Maybe you'll see something that you can use as you get your own boat ready for Summer fun.

Ever windward,
$tingy Sailor

See less See more
#7 ·
This week, I'm interrupting this series again to show my DIY cabin cushion covers project. If you're thinking about redoing your covers yourself, you've gotta read this first ;)

This series isn't finished yet, so stay tuned in here for the next installment.

Yet to come are posts about single-line jiffy reefing, boom downhaul, and the culmination of the series; the lines led aft to the cockpit without going over the pop top. You won't want to miss one.

#11 ·
You know color coding may look gawd awful to another sailor, but I can take newbs racing with me, and say "pull the green line," or whatever, and they get the point. You're right too, that the solid colors help in that regard. Beyond that, whatever color works.

The rest looks spot on.

#12 ·
Hi, funseekers

You'll have to wait another week for the next installment in this rigging series. But don't worry, I finished the rigging upgrades this week and all that remains is to wrap up and publish the blog posts for them. Keep watching this thread and you'll be among the first to see 'em.

This week, I posted an article about upgrading my outboard motor with a circuit to charge my house battery. Check it out if you sometimes run low on juice out on the water.

Hopefully, you're getting in some good sailing already this year. Our first launch of the season is next week and I'm anxious to try out the new rigging to see how it performs.

#13 · (Edited)
Happy Memorial Day weekend, everybody.

I just edited the first message in this thread with a picture and link to the latest post on my blog about an easy to trim boom downhaul to replace a standard equipment boom tie-down.

Hope you get some good sailing in over the long weekend!

#14 ·
It's here at last, the final installment in this series on running rigging replacement. Follow the link for descriptions and pictures of the deck hardware selection and installation. I also included a table of all the line sizes and lengths that I used. I saved 45% by buying the big tickets items used or on deep discount. Sailing with the new rigging is like having a new boat. I highly recommend this upgrade.

There will be plenty more posts on my blog in the future for all areas of the boat, so stay tuned or drop by the blog!

Ever windward,
$tingy Sailor

#16 ·
If you're still following this thread, you might be interested in seeing my Tiller Tamer installation. It has three tips for those who have yet to install theirs:
  • Making a wooden adapter to fit it to your tiller
  • Securing one end of the control line with a stanchion cleat
  • Getting Sta Set line to reeve through more easily
If you want to read the details and see more pics, check it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.