Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina > C22
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Lifting the lady

This has been discussed on other small boat forums, however, I am not convinced: I need to inspect my swing keel, so, I need to figure out how to SAFELY lift my C22. I have seen various ideas for lifting/propping a boat. Most of them scare the **** out of me! They don't look very stable. Short of hiring a lift, how can I get it off the trailer?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2008

saildork is on a distinguished road
Lifting the Lady

Barquito,

Short of hiring a lift, the only way I know of raising the boat off the trailor is by using jacks (floor/bottle/scissor) and blocks of wood to hold the hull above the bunk boards. It seems scary when you start, but you soon find that it's not too hard. Be sure you start on a flat surface, block the wheels of the trailor, and jack the hull up at the strong points (just forward and just aft of the ends of the keel slot) using your choice of jack and a length of 4 x 4 with a block of 2 x 8 on top of that. On the forward end, you can start with your jack right on the trailor-frame crossmember. Raise it a little at a time at one end, slide your blocks of 2 x 8 or 2 x 10 onto the bunk boards, lower the boat to the blocks, then move to the other end and do the same thing. With proper stacks of blocking, you can raise the hull quite a ways and it will be secure.

I recommend you take a look at the C22 National Sailing Association site where raising the boat is discussed. You'll also find links to many C22 sailors' experiences with raising and working on their boats, many with lots of pictures. Some even show how they placed their boats on frames made of heavy lumber and 55gal drums.

Pat
s/v Stargazer
Catalina 22