SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   C22 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c22/)
-   -   Catalina Island in your c-22 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c22/66847-catalina-island-your-c-22-a.html)

cessnapilot 07-28-2010 11:50 PM

Catalina Island in your c-22

I'm loooking at purchasing a c-22 or c-25 but since my truck can only tow 6100lbs Looks more like a 22. I live in phx and most of my sailing will be local lakes but once or twice a year I would like to go to catalina. I've made the trip many times on bigger boats (30-50ft). Has anyone done it on the forum in your 22 and if so how did it go? special things you did to your boat? etc. thanks for any help.

scotthenry 07-29-2010 10:59 PM

When I lived down there, I sailed my Montgomery 17 to Catalina frequently, many of them single-handed. The major change I made was to have a downhaul on the jib so that I could lower it from the cocpit.

SlowButSteady 07-30-2010 04:03 AM

Go to YouTube, search for "sailing to Catalina", and you'll find plenty of videos of people sailing small boats to the island.

casioqv 09-17-2010 03:43 PM

My wife and I took a week long trip to Catalina Island a month ago in our 1974 Catalina 22, and everything went great. We even went to Cat Harbor on the backside of the island which was awesome. With the swing keel, we could anchor for free in the shallow mudflats inside the moorings. We were the smallest boat back there by far.

Just make sure everything on your boat (keel, rigging, hatches, etc.) is in solid condition, and that you have the ability to reef/reduce sail area when it gets really windy and you'll be fine. Also, bring a lot of fuel for your outboard in case there's zero wind and you end up motoring the whole way!

If you're not going in the summer, you need to have a plan for dealing with the possibility of Santa Ana winds. This book has great advice:

The Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California: Golden Gate to Ensenada, Mexico, Including the Offshore Islands by Brian M. Fagan

Also, you have to cross one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, and the C22 is a pretty small and slow boat. Make sure you have a radar reflector, flares, VHF, horn, etc. and watch very carefully for big ships.

I tow my Catalina 22 with a 1987 Volvo station wagon where I've upgraded the suspension, brakes, and cooling system to easily handle the extra weight.

The biggest downside is that my wife and I are really tall- and everything in the C22 is sized for shorter people. I think if you're over 5'10" or so, a C25 is a much more comfortable choice unless you like bumping your head on bolts, and sitting/sleeping with your head on your shoulder.

windward54 09-17-2010 11:42 PM

And if you plan a trip to Ithsmus Cove, they will take reservations for the spring line.

CaptDon001 02-17-2011 03:45 PM

Sailed to Catalina Island on our Capri-18 the first time in 2009. Last summer we sailed our C-22 MK-II WK version, and had a much more enjoyable time with the added room. We've got two trips to Catalina Island planned for 2011. We're heading to Avalon in June, and Two Harbors again in July.

Don