My 1st boat, 1979 22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina > C22
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012

DubeJ is on a distinguished road
Re: My 1st boat, 1979 22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice

I am currently working on the boat and trailer. To date I've done:

1. Step the mast. This was not as hard as I thought. I came up with a clever system (after reading lots on here, with a 1.5 ton crane hoist). Lucky me, I work in construction, so it's easy to get tools like that.
2. New tires on trailer ($200 Fu$&ing bucks).
3. Rigged her all up with sails and all, in the desert but wanted to ensure she is ready before 1st splash in Aug.
4. Re-wired electrical (electrician friend helped)
5. Cussed and drank.

I'll keep posting as it gets better.

Dubé
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2012

dprudden is on a distinguished road

Check out "Chip Ahoy" Homeport This guy has done everything imaginable to a C22.

Make sure the volcano hose is in good shape-easy to replace-easy for the boat to sink if it breaks. You'll need to check the keel pin at some point to make sure it isn't worn. A hydraulic floor jack works ok-support the keel with the jack, CAREFULLY remove the bolts, then lower the keel a couple of inches to check the pin. Jack back up to replace keel.
Old 06-30-2012

PaulSims is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaulSims

Anybody got an old Bimini they need to get rid of.. that is halfway close to Mississippi?
Old 07-01-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Sign up for the Yachts and boats for sale - Catalina Yachts association... lots of help, parts, information there.

Like others said, check the pivot/pin/cable. Check the wheel bearings, and replace. check the the shrouds for frays. Then check the chain plates (see if there are lose screws/bolts down below where the shrouds connect)... make sure the mast step is stable. Sails! make sure they don't have tears, and they have all the battens (quick way to trash a main is to raise it with no battens in a blow).

MOTOR? Can't tell by the picture, but seems like a huge NEW motor for the boat. that boat would likely benefit from a 6hp, or 4hp, anything more or less will likely be underkill or overkill/heavy.

gealcoat cracks are nothing... depending on how deep you can wet sand them out, if the hull is dull, that's probably better than just waxing anyway, wet sand, compound, polish, then wax.

Check all the turning blocks, make sure they turn... stupid I know.

Otherwise you have what is arguably one of the most popular starter cruisers on the planet (for good reason). Like others have said, catalinadirect.com is your friend! Every part you can imagine is available for that boat, and reasonably priced, shipped to your door.

Enjoy, and lets see some pictures of her sailing!

PS: A used cat 22 in cared for shape, that age, with trailer and motor, can draw as much as $8000. Mostly because regardless of age, they are tough little boats, and sail as well as the newer ones.
Old 07-09-2012

PaulSims is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaulSims

Had a crazy idea today.. I've seen it done on ski boats fairly often.. but would it be practical to vinyl wrap sailboat. Let me clear that up.. not the douche baggery affliction graphics.. but a solid blue black or green maybe w/ a stripe? Just the free board on the side. Leave the anti-fouling and deck as is..
Old 07-13-2012

DubeJ is on a distinguished road

Time to re-rig Cheers! It's the last step before her first trip to the Pacific. I'm very excited, and am ready to do this. Anyone had rigging experience? I've got the $$ to blow on all running lines, as she was stored in the sun and it killed the lines.

So, if anyone has tips or tricks, would love to hear your thoughts. I'm just going to pull ams replace as pulling so I don't get confused!! All blocks turn, aren't busted, but I'llrob grab a bunch of spares just in case.