My 1st boat, 1979 22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina > C22
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012

DubeJ is on a distinguished road
My 1st boat, 1979 22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice

I'm living the first part of the old sayng, "best day of a boat owner's life...." right now as I today purchased my first boat. It's a '79 (good year, I was born, Pink Floyd released The Wall...), Catalina swing keel, pop top on a trailer.

She has been with last owner a few years and was dry stored in AZ, as she was used in Lake Pleasant. I am taking her to San Diego..that is where she will stay

I know that I have a lot of work to do on her, as she was prettty cheap. All my sailing buds kept telling me, "spend more" but I assure you, that is what has kept me out of the water...at this price, I am sailing, and not just dreaming of it.

I will stay in SD where it is safe for a while while I "learn" her, ut wanted to post a few pics so everyone could chime in and tell me thier thoughts on her and what I will need to ensure before I put her in the water for the 1st time...
Attached Thumbnails
My 1st boat, 1979  22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice-backend.jpg   My 1st boat, 1979  22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice-cockpit.jpg   My 1st boat, 1979  22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice-engine.jpg   My 1st boat, 1979  22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice-sailpaint.jpg   My 1st boat, 1979  22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice-rudderchips.jpg  

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: My 1st boat, 1979 22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice

Congrats on your new boat.
How about more pictures, both inside and out.
What's the overall condition? What issues to you think needs to be addressed? (all boats have issues)
What are your long term plans for it?
Old 03-25-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Congrats on your new boat.. I sailed a 22 for a number of years, fun boat! You will enjoy her. It's a very economical plan..a 22 ft trailerable boat! You don't need to spend a lot of money to have fun! in many ways..I miss those days. Bigger is not always better..
Old 03-25-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Looks good, Great boat! I start with a cleaning,then the dreaming....Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 03-25-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

The C22 is an excellent choice for a first cruising boat! They're inexpensive to buy and maintain, and easy to sell whenever you get ready, and a good learning platform. They're easily trailered and open your world to adventure on weekends and vacations.

It doesn't look like she has ever had a coat of antifouling paint, which means she has probably been trailered all her life, and has not been sailed much in salt water, and that's good, but, before you leave her in the water for very long in San Diego, you'll want to paint the bottom and keel. My suggestion is that you use a good quality ablative paint. I use WM's PCA Gold. It's a little expensive, but it's usually on sale about this time of year, your boat won't take much, and it will save you labor down the road.

The cracks on the side indicate that she must have taken a hard hit at some time, but it appears to be cosmetic, and, if you didn't spend much on the boat and trailer, I'd forget about it. The scratches in the rudder suggest someone turned the rudder hard while the motor was running, and the prop probably gouged it. It also looks cosmetic. They don't look too deep. If they are, you might want to fill them with something like Marine Tex. Oh yeah, and don't turn the rudder hard into the prop in the future.

You can buy parts from Catalina Direct, and since you don't know the complete history of the boat, you should probably replace the swing keel cable and turning ball. You should also look at any thru hull valves, and, if it has any, replace them if they are the original gate valves that Catalina used on small boats back then. Gate valves weren't very good and they were, on rare occasion, known to have catastrophic failure. But those things are just basic long term maintenance and upgrades.

The gel coat looks like it's not badly chalked, and I'd suggest you apply cleaner and wax to the hull, but not the deck. If you apply it by hand, with a dampened cloth, and wipe it off using an inexpensive automobile buffer, it's an easy job, and it will look great. Once it's clean, then one coat of wax per year will keep it looking good.
Old 03-25-2012
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

Congratulations man. Catalina 22s are a lot of fun.

I've done both the keel cable replacement and a rudder refairing on mine. Here are some pics and things:

Keel Cable
Rudder Part 1
Rudder Part 2

I have mine set up so that the rudder can't hit the prop, at least when the rudder is down. When motoring in very shallow water where I have to kick up the rudder, there's some danger, but I just pay attention. Some people make little extensions to the cavitation plate of the motor that extend past the prop as a guard.

The cable is an important thing to check out because a broken one can be really bad news, but mostly I'd suggest you just sail it and worry about the non-safety related maintenance for some other time.

Cheers.

Last edited by chip; 12-31-2013 at 02:00 AM. Reason: updated links
Old 03-26-2012

DubeJ is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. I am very excited about it...here are more pics...

I love the advice, please let me know more and more info. Too much info is better than not enough

Dube
Attached Thumbnails
My 1st boat, 1979  22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice-interior.jpg   My 1st boat, 1979  22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice-img_0194.jpg   My 1st boat, 1979  22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice-img_0195.jpg   My 1st boat, 1979  22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice-sailpaint.jpg  
Old 03-27-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

As others suggested, check the keel cable. If you will be trailering very far, check that the wheel bearings are well greased. There are some common upgrades for the C22, such as replacing the keel bearing so it doesn't knock, and adding transom scuppers.

While sailing, know that it is possible to sink a C22. Keep lockers latched. When in frisky conditions consider putting hatch boards in, and be prepared to release the mainsheet if overpowered.

Have fun, and expect a steep learning curve the first season.

BTW, I'm not sure PCA Gold is sold in California. Look for a bottom paint that is good for trailerable boats.
Old 04-02-2012

PaulSims is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaulSims

Looks good, I'm working on a project of my own. Spend your money on the hardware. "Looks" can always be addressed down the road. As long as there are no leaks or soft spots, you should be good to go. Cable on the keel is a must, and at the very least, running lights if you're planning on being out after dark.

Couple upgrades to look into: upgrading that bow eye to the U-bolt design, especially if you're going to be winching it up on the trailer alot (just get it from Catalina Direct, it's easier than piecing it together). Take that single post eye, and throw it in the garbage. Could end up being a nightmare if it fails while you're trying to get it back on the trailer.

A single line reefing system is fairly inexpensive and good to have in case you get caught in bad weather.

Probably wouldn't hurt to stick a pin in that rudder that you can pop in and out easily. Gets a little hairy, if that rudder comes up in rough conditions. And they are a little too long to leave locked down all the time if you're going to be launching off a trailer.
Old 04-02-2012

PaulSims is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaulSims

Simple topping lift is nice to have to keep the boom out of the way when you drop the main too.