Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina > C22
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012

FtWorthSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 22 Question regarding Swing Keel

Well, I went out to look at that boat again and this time we put it in the water and it was watertight. His final offer was $1000. for a 1980 Catalina 22 pop-top model, a nice running 5 hp outboard motor, and a very nice looking trailer. Some work still needs to be done on the trailer, but he is working on it so I can haul it out and bring it home. The boat has 2 mailsails, 2 jibs - 150 and a smaller one, and one more but not sure if its the big one for downhaul *spinnaker?) or not. Took another look at the inside and outside and found some additional minor fiberglass damage on the deck near the edge but not bad. The insert just below the table has some fiberglass damage but it is about 3 inches long. Both look easy enough to repair. We raised and lowered the keel and it functioned perfectly. All mast, boom, stays, & rigging look pretty good. There IS a battery in it but didn't check it. Probably needs to be replaced. All the wood will need to be sanded and restained but its all there. Cushions inside might be ok if I take them out and wash them. No tears - just looks old. The table laminate is stained and coming apart. I will just replace it with a real wood table. Checked the porta potty and it looks like it is in working order. Comes with an anchor and rope.

Im going to take it out on a test run tomorrow. Im beginning to think this might be a good deal, after all..... your thoughts???

Last edited by FtWorthSailor; 09-22-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2012

Outboard just got serviced. So that is in great working order.
Old 09-22-2012

I found a local guy that does good fiberglass work. So the fiberglass damaged issues will be resolved.....and Ill get to learn more about fiberglass work.
Old 09-22-2012

The forum wont let me post the link to the pictures..... says I must have 10 posts or greater. I have 8
Old 09-22-2012

This should be post 9.... I am really looking forward to more of your advice......
Old 09-22-2012

I dont have any good pictures yet, however if I go out tomorrow, Ill take my camera on the boat and snap away. For now you can see some not-so-good pictures of it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081910...LHrpdfgyJrAdg#

Last edited by FtWorthSailor; 09-22-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road

Ok, the outboard works, that's a plus. Big questions for me: is the deck sound? If its spongy or there is delamination, that could be a problem. Deck delam can be fixed, but its a time-consuming project: if its widespread you can't just suck out the water and soupy balsa, inject new resin and be done. You have to remove the top layer of the deck, scrape out the old rotten core, put in new core material, build up a new deck, fair it, sand it, fair it, sand it (repeat many, many times), then paint the entire deck, old and new. In short, you better really love this boat or love fiberglass work.

Item two: does the hull have any blisters? In some ways, more of a pain than a spongy deck, but the remedy is similar. You have to remove the offending fiberglass and soup, and rebuild the surface.

If the deck and hull are in good shape, the outboard works and the sails are serviceable, then a Catalina 22 with a trailer for $1000 is a good deal.
Old 09-25-2012

I wanted to give a special THANK YOU to all of you that responded to my inquiries. I definitely appreciate your advice and input. I took a look at three other Catalina 22's, two on trailers and one at a slip. however all of them were in some sort of state of repair required. One was at the $2500. level and it needed the same wood work that the $1k boat did. I went back to the $$1K boat offer and took another look. I am happy to report that I decided to buy it because the clean up and repairs that it needs look minor and something that I believe I can do on my own. Thanks again and looking forward to sharing pictures of my new '22 out on the lake.

I may take it down to Galveston Tx around November to do some real OCEAN sailing on her. I just need to make sure I have all the cleanup and repairs done.

R
Old 09-27-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road

Congrats!!! and good luck with repairs...
The Cat 22 is a very fun boat and you will enjoy it !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Chata
1980 Catalina 22

"Common sense is the least common of the senses"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2012

I pick up the Catalina 22 this FRIDAY. Family is very excited. Ive been watching YOUTUBE on how to take down and step the mast. I think I have a good idea on what to watch for, however do you have any suggestions on doing this and making it safe?