Well, Here is my update. I picked up the boat and as of today, have had 7 days of working on the trailer and motor, trying to get everything ready.....and about 4 days of sailing on her.
After cleaning all the dirt, mud, spiders, webs, a totally destroyed dinette table, and bunks, the boat is starting to look pretty good. I took the wife out of the marina using the outboard to give her a feel for the boat and suddenly found out that the outboard was leaking gas..... dripping it out onto the water........ I turned the boat around and headed back to the temp slip. Long story short -- the tank was patched with some sort of cheap bondo....... I removed it from the engine and took it home where I proceeded to wire brush it down to the bare metal. Boy, was that a problem. It must have had 30 or so pinholes in the bottom of the tank where it had been bondo-ed. I am used to using JB-Weld and US Steel Tank Sealer on my mini motorcycles, so I followed the same process and repaired the tank. After two seal coatings, the tank works good as new.
Took the boat out last Saturday and got just outside the marina when the motor suddenly died.... it was blowing pretty hard and I was frantic - trying to figure out why the motor wouldnt start and whether I should I throw out the anchor
to make sure I didn't get blown onto the rocks....... then I realized that the gas wasn't turned on and once I did turn it on, she fired up and I was SAFE again. I also found out that the anchor
on this boat was the mushroom type and would have done NOTHING to keep me from dragging and ending up on the rocks in a real emergency. So, a new Danforth anchor
, chain, and rope are on the list for next payday.
Yesterday, Sunday, Took the wife out and had a great day of sailing. Very relaxing and just a few concerns came up.