SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Stepping mast on a C 25, help!!

15K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  UPHILL 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I am looking for some help and advise on stepping the mast on a C 25, tall rig.

Little background, My dad and I have owned a C-22 since the late 70's and have had little problem with stepping it. Last fall we found a C-25 in Kentucky and are very excited about our new/used boat. The thought is to be able to do it single handed, if possible. I would like to single hand it around the PNW and some lakes here in south west Idaho. My dad would also be looking at the same thing, as he is getting up in age and my mom would be very little help. So any contraptions or ideas would be great.. Pictures also would be helpfull

Happy sailing.

#3 ·
Thanks, JJ

That makes it look too easy, we are doing this on a trailer. The A-frame gizmo looks like the ticket. It seems it is to give mechanical advantage or to get the halyard up to a better angle. Will give it a try next week.

#4 ·
Well to update.

When we tried the first time we used the all rope halyard, last weekend we used the fore stay. Worked like a champ. :)

Thinking that the rope had way to much stretch.

#5 ·
We just bought our first cabin type sailboat it is a Cat 25 and I need to develop a system to do something similar to trailer the boat. I have a couple of questions: What is the A frame made from or is it a purchased item? I assume that you need a pulley at the bow to run the line through. We have not yet taken the mast down but will do so tomorrow to haul the boat home. Previous owner will be there to help.

Thanks

Howard

#6 · (Edited)
We have a extendable crutch that fits in the rudder gizmos (pennels I think), extends 10 to 12 feet. and we also extended the part of the trailer where the winch is. We put a pulley there and use the boat winch to raise and lower. The first time last spring we tried the all rope halyard. It had too much spring for our liking, so we pulled it up with the forestay, better. I am sorry I don't have any picture as the boat is about 100 mile north and won't be down for a few days.

With the owner there I'm sure he has his way so watch and learn.

I will get some pic next week and post.

uphill

hope this helps..

#7 ·
Update:

So I added a ATV winch to single hand the mast up. Made a remote control so while I was standing on the cabin top I could control the side swing. The first few feet are tricky, after that not a problem.

Hope this helps..

It worked like a champ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.