Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina > C25 and 250
 Not a Member? 

C25 and 250 For Catalina 25 and 250 owners

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011

HopefulRookie is on a distinguished road
Input on possible first boat

I want to get some opinions on a boat that has made the short list.
We have our eye on an 81 C25. it has its problems but we won't know the extent until a survey.

The wife is excited so the hard part is over. We have no sailing exp. but are confident that we can learn enough to be dangerous. We would be keeping it on a lake and would like to maybe spend a night on it.

Anyone have exp. with overnighting on one of these and did you find it comfortable enough to keep you coming back or is it really to small for a couple. we have looked inside and we thought it would be fine, but reality can be different then sitting inside for 45 min.

any thoughts are much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2011

additional note: Others that are on the short list include.

197? Hunter 25.5 (needs alot of updating)
1996 Hunter 26 (needs alot of cleaning and bottom paint)
1977 Catalina 27 (really like the room, but has thousands of small cracks)

The wife really likes the pop-top cabins.

Thanks again
Old 06-20-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulRookie View Post
additional note: Others that are on the short list include.

197? Hunter 25.5 (needs alot of updating)
1996 Hunter 26 (needs alot of cleaning and bottom paint)
1977 Catalina 27 (really like the room, but has thousands of small cracks)

The wife really likes the pop-top cabins.

Thanks again
What is your budget? I have seen C27s for sale at reasonable prices (5-6K?) and examples exist that are crack-free and in nice shape.

Why are you looking at these boats with problems? Is it for budget reasons? You'd be far better off looking for a really well maintained example that won't be selling for that much more.
Old 06-20-2011

Wife said under 10k, I think the main problem is our location, Memphis, TN. Not huge sailing communities around.

the front runner is the Catalina 25.. its primary problems are heavy oxidation and in need of a good cleaning. Other then these everything else would just be small project items, cushions, cleaning up hacked up wiring, etc. These kinds of small projects are no big deal to me since I have been rebuilding classic cars most of my life.

I just always thought a cracked boat might mean a sinking boat.

Seems like people around here get a sailboat and then find out they don't like it and the boats sit around in marinas for a couple years then they try to sell.

the Hunter 25.5 will prolly sell around 5-6

the others are going to be 8-9

Last edited by HopefulRookie; 06-20-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2011

I really think for that kind of money you could get a boat that's been really well cared for and shows it. There'll still be plenty of jobs to do.
Old 06-20-2011

"I just always thought a cracked boat might mean a sinking boat"

I think you are talking about what are commonly called spider cracks. What happens on older boats is that the gel coat on the deck cracks where it flexes constantly from being walked/jumped on. It's actually fairly benign and cosmetic, though ugly and hard to fix. It implies a well-used boat. Personally I think it looks awful and would avoid a boat that has it too much.

For isolated cases you can grind out the cracks, and fill with gelcoat or epoxy, then optionally paint.

Some are starting on my cockpit seats where you jump down after going on the foredeck. I'm 300 lbs so it's hardly surprising.
Old 06-20-2011

I was thinking it was not a real structure problem..but ... is ugly.

I'm starting now to look alittle further out. Might mean bigger road trips but I'm seeing some nicer boats closer to the coasts and getting it shipped back here is not out of the realm (cost wise).
Old 07-14-2011

Glen53 is on a distinguished road
Check out the Catalina 25 National site. There is also one for the 27. Any questions you have can be answered by a number of knowledgeable owners. As for overnighting we frequently will spend up to 2 weeks aboard our 25 swinger. Finding one with a trailer will allow you to extend your search area, as well as allowing you to travel with it. Here is the link Association Forum
Old 07-15-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Catalinas

Hopeful,

Good luck on your search.

I do not have experience with the C25 specifically, but Catalina owners have incredible support from the company - even for the older boats. The company goes out of it's way to keep owners at all levels happy because usually their next boat is another Catalina. The company owners attend most boat shows and the annual rendezvous (one on each coast) and always request feedback on the boats. The Catalina club I belong to hosted Frank Butler and crew at a dinner after last year's Annapolis boat show. They are all great to talk to.

We've found other Catalina owners to be fantastically helpful as well, especially those who started out with the smaller boats and moved up. There's a wealth of information to be had from both the boat owners and the company.

If you decide on the Catalina, it is well worth it to join the closest Catalina owners group and subscribe to the Mainsheet. If you go to the Mainsheet website you can request a free copy. You'll find that there is a C25/250 section with its own technical articles.

I researched various boats for two years before deciding on the C30. Now we've had it for two seasons and even with the problems a 30-year old boat has, we don't regret the choice. We're now eyeing the C355.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-21-2011

ronjh28 is on a distinguished road
I own a Catalina 25 1979, It is really a great boat. We had spent 3 days sleeping and sailing and had a great time. It is a little cramped when sleeping with 4 people but well worth it. My boat has the pop top but i dont use it that often. I had a Catalina 22, the 25 is much more boat.