Trojan T1275 in Stbd Settee battery bank location - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-09-2017 Thread Starter
TheBoatDad

Trojan T1275 in Stbd Settee battery bank location

I've searched through numerous threads but wasn't able to find a definitive answer. My battery bank is located in the starboard settee. I measured the size of this enclosure at (approximately) 10" Depth x 10" Width x 26" Length. I didn't take the batteries or battery boxes out for an accurate measurement, so I could be off a little (didn't think I'd need 1/4in accuracy for battery placement, haha).

The T1275 is listed as 11.13" tall x 7.13" wide x 12.96" length. I plan to get better measurements tomorrow but figured I would pose the question if anyone had success with locating two T1275's in this location.

Short term goal is to replace the two junk group 24 starting batteries for peace of mind when daysailing. Long term goal is to add a reserve battery under the quarter berth as many have done and combine the two batteries under settee into one house bank for future cruising. I figured I could pick up the T1275's now and install as bank 1 and 2, then combine them as 1 bank later when I add the reserve battery. One of the PO's made some upgrades to the electrical system, so I still need to sort it out to make sure I have a good charging system before sinking $400 in batteries. Thoughts on this approach?

Thanks!

S/V Seraphina, 1988 Catalina 30 hull 5310.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-09-2017 Thread Starter
TheBoatDad

Re: Trojan T1275 in Stbd Settee battery bank location

Ok I called Battery Warehouse in Baytown, TX. There are two types of terminals, low profile and high profile. Actual measured height of the T-1275 with low profile terminals is 10 3/4". Figures I would post this info in case anyone was searching for it.

post #3 of 11 Old 02-09-2017

It wouldn't hurt to check dimensions directly with the Trojan folks. You can go online or telephone.

Several years ago I was looking to replace my battery bank and was concerned about the choices from various online vendors selling Trojan batteries. So I checked with Trojan and found out that some of the offerings were of batteries no longer manufactured by Trojan. (You don't want to buy batteries that have been sitting around for a while.) After shopping online vendor prices for the newer version, I went back to Trojan for the best price.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-09-2017 Thread Starter
TheBoatDad

Thanks for the tips. I found Battery Warehouse on Trojan's distributer list. They are a brick and mortar retailer in Baytown. The gentleman I spoke with had them in stock and measured the height for me. Luckily they are only a 45 minute drive from me.

post #5 of 11 Old 02-09-2017

Hey,

Trojan's web site is excellent and contains ALL the information you need, including very accurate drawings that show length, width, height.

Download the Data Sheet to get this information, like from here:
http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/dat...ata_Sheets.pdf

Note that some batteries have the same power measurements, but slightly difference case sizes, which might be important for you.
Like this one:
http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/dat...ata_Sheets.pdf
Note that battery is 6V. I believe you get more power from two 6V in series than from 2 12V in parallel, but this will prevent you from your 'bank 1 and bank' scenario above.

I am looking to replace my three dead group 27 batteries and the choices between 6V, 12V and everything is making my head spin! I am dealing with 1/16 of an inch clearance.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-09-2017

The easiest modification would be depth, by far.
Could be that simple spacer strips would do it.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-09-2017 Thread Starter
TheBoatDad

Barry,

I hear you. I read Mailsail's threads and the info on his Marine How-To site. Very informative. I know the 6V GC batteries will last longer, all else being equal, but I think the 12V GC is a good compromise given my expected sailing conditions. Realistically, my boat will be on shore power at least 350 days of the year so I don't expect I will see the deep cycling frequency of a cruiser spending a large number of days on the hook. Even then, I still wonder if a couple of group 27 fake deep cycles would be acceptaeble for my expected conditions. But I don't mind spending some extra coin on good batteries.

post #8 of 11 Old 02-09-2017

If you're gonna be mostly living on shore power, the best deal in town is the Walmart marine/deep cycles with warranty.
Inexpensive..no maint...don't over think it...move on to something else....
post #9 of 11 Old 02-11-2017 Thread Starter
TheBoatDad

I think I'm leaning towards the group 27 pseudo deep cycles. I spent 4 hours pouring over the electrical system an found that a PO installed an ACR and Victron battery monitor. I also found the Iota DLS30 battery charger/inverter installed in the cockpit locker surrounded by life jackets and bumpers. Not exactly a great place for electronics...so I have some work to relocate the charger to a better spot and most likely buy a better charger. Anyways, I've got some general electrical questions that I will post in the appropriate sub-forum.

post #10 of 11 Old 02-13-2017

No need to have starting batteries on a sailboat or worse, combination deep cycle/starting. Use only deep cycles.
Now, if you have a really big sailboat with a really big engine....yes, have dedicated starting batteries.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.