Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina > C30
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011
RJ

ntnbetr is on a distinguished road
Anicca Photos

Sorry about that, Here's my boat but check the galleries on sailnet for more. The Catalina 30 is probably the most popular boat ever made. There's lots of pictures out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo request / owner opinions-dscn1620.jpg   Photo request / owner opinions-dscn1582.jpg   Photo request / owner opinions-dscn1584.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2011

l0keman is on a distinguished road
Yup, I posted in the C-30 forum, and figured it was understood, sorry. I have a 1976 Chrysler C-22. So I want to upgrade to a little bigger and a boat in nicer condition. The water I will be sailing on is the Biloxi Bay and is normally smooth, but very shallow (spent 9 hours one day stuck in the silt waiting a tow). But then it dumps to the Gulf of Mexico and then it ust depends on the day. I'm more into chilling out on my boat than I am into sailing it. Plus this model has a head and shower.

Anyone else have any reccomendations or words of advice about this boat or boats of this size in general? I've made about every mistake possible with a trailer sailor.
Old 06-13-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0keman View Post
The water I will be sailing on is the Biloxi Bay and is normally smooth, but very shallow (spent 9 hours one day stuck in the silt waiting a tow). But then it dumps to the Gulf of Mexico and then it ust depends on the day. I'm more into chilling out on my boat than I am into sailing it. Plus this model has a head and shower.

Anyone else have any reccomendations or words of advice about this boat or boats of this size in general? I've made about every mistake possible with a trailer sailor.
We moved up to the Catalina 30 from a 22-footer trailer sailor and don't regret it one bit. I researched boats in the 30-32 foot range for two years before I narrowed it down to two or three.

We're both tall and there's plenty of headroom. Catalina isn't the fastest boat on the water but we knew that going in. We wanted the cabin space instead.

Ours is a fin keel with a 5'3" draft. The draft limits us in some ways but, unlike the wing keel, we can usually plow through the sand and muck on the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay. Other keels, due to their shape, get stuck more easily. We pay close attention to tide tables.

Systems are old yet simple to repair. Our boat is a 1980 and we were fortunate to get one after they started installing diesel engines.

There is a Catalina 30 Yahoo email group that is extremely active and posts stay on topic, which is nice. This boat has a lot of support from both the manufacturer and other owners and that was also figured into our decision to buy one.

We just started our second full season as the owners and I'm finally making it more "ours" than the previous owner's.

We belong to a Catalina club on the Chesapeake and I already started scoping out our next Catalina. Our broker told us that just about everyone he sold a Catalina 30 to came back in a few years and moved up to a larger Catalina. That told us a lot about the brand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-23-2011

SDSailor50 is on a distinguished road
I have a Catalina 30 and I would strongly recommend it for what you are looking to do. I was also a single parent in the military, Navy (several years ago). There was a suggestion that you could go smaller to save some money. Well the Slip will be one of your biggest concerns but at $2.50 a foot the difference from say 27 footer to a 30 is only $7.50 a month not much savings for the comfort. You will find that the interior of the 30 seems about twice as big as the 27. The 30 would be very comfortable even if your daughters are all grown up. I know three people that live on their C30's so there should be plenty of room to have fun. I have never gone out alone (I have lots of friends that are always available to go sailing) but I know several people that single hand their Catalina 30ís. We have one guy in out club that races his 1977 Catalina 30 single handed and he is normal very close to the front and normally beats bigger boats. The Catalina 30 is one of the most popular boats ever made. Somewhere close to 6,500 of them built and most of them including hull #1 is still sailing. This gives you a lot of sources for parts and experienced sailors to give advice and recommendations. I hope my two cents helps.
Old 07-23-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I'm about to look at a 1980 Catalina Standard Rig that they are asking $19K for. So, if I continue the process, I'll have lots of questions. You've already helped me, as I joined Catalina 30 Group on Yahoo - so thanks!

Take care,
Jack
Old 07-23-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Best of luck! Let us know how it works out. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the C30 owners on this forum are also on the Yahoo list.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-23-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
Thanks Donna! Well, I have an appt with the owner of the Cal30 next weekend; he'll take me out if weather is good, or we'll just go over the boat. The fact that it's not on the hard is convenient so I can take it for a spin! lol...

See you here and on yahoo - and I'll keep you all apprised of my negotiations!

Thanks again,
Jack
Old 08-24-2011

RatHatDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSailor50 View Post
I have a Catalina 30 and I would strongly recommend it for what you are looking to do. I was also a single parent in the military, Navy (several years ago). There was a suggestion that you could go smaller to save some money. Well the Slip will be one of your biggest concerns but at $2.50 a foot the difference from say 27 footer to a 30 is only $7.50 a month not much savings for the comfort. You will find that the interior of the 30 seems about twice as big as the 27. The 30 would be very comfortable even if your daughters are all grown up. I know three people that live on their C30's so there should be plenty of room to have fun. I have never gone out alone (I have lots of friends that are always available to go sailing) but I know several people that single hand their Catalina 30ís. We have one guy in out club that races his 1977 Catalina 30 single handed and he is normal very close to the front and normally beats bigger boats. The Catalina 30 is one of the most popular boats ever made. Somewhere close to 6,500 of them built and most of them including hull #1 is still sailing. This gives you a lot of sources for parts and experienced sailors to give advice and recommendations. I hope my two cents helps.
$2.50 A FOOT IN SAN DIEGO ??? I will take it. Were are you?
Old 09-07-2011

l0keman is on a distinguished road
Nope. $2.50 a foot in Biloxi, MS on Keesler Air Force Base.