Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina > C30
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Jack,
As I said on the other thread and some others have said here, I'd rule out the 11hp C30.

The ad for the boat with the larger engine is a bit sparse. You might email the seller and ask about pressure water, water heater, etc. You may find the boat already has these features. My C30 does, but it's a '95 MKIII so there are some differences.

What struck me about the Pearson yawl is its narrow beam. Though it's a 35 footer it appears to have less interior space than my Catalina 30. In particular I noticed how thin the seats are on the salon cushions. If you're spending any amount of time aboard you'll need comfortable places to curl up with a book or watch TV. This boat just doesn't look all that comfortable as a live aboard (for me).

The Catalina 30 also has a large cockpit where you can stretch out. This boat doesn't.

The alcohol stove would worry me. But you can swap in a propane stove for around $1k, and probably half that if you can find one used.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
Jim,

Great advice! Yeah, everyone comments on the SURPRISING size of the C30's interior. I am supposed to hear back from the owner on the C30 this week and will have a list of questions for him about everything you mentioned.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 07-28-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
C30 11hp

Our C30 has the Universal 5411. Yes it is underpowered compared to other boats. It has not prevented us from going where we want on the Chesapeake and we've motored through some pretty rough conditions. We sail faster than we can motor but that's an added incentive to keep the sails up!

I'm not trying to talk you out of the heftier engine, just letting you know our experience. Would we prefer a larger engine? Sure. But we liked this particular boat's other amenities and we definitely wanted diesel. It was a tradeoff. If we have to repower my partner wants an electric drive anyway.

Oh, and we have a fin keel. Draft is somewhat inhibiting but we wouldn't trade it for a wing keel.
veprjack likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-29-2011
On The Learning Curve

Thanks DrFerron - I have what is probably a common ailment - "Newbie Headache"! lol... The learning curve is huge (but actually fun/interesting - and necessary) - it's just that when you start to narrow things down. OK - three manufacturers, then price, size, accessories, features, etc. I like the pressure/hot water, but don't like the 11hp. I like getting lots of "toys" that come with the boat for next to nothing (like dinghy), but the boat looks like it wasn't cared for - and on and on.

It's just the process most here have gone through. One of my "rabbis" here who has been incredibly generous with his time and knowledge, told me that he looked at 25 boats that were an average of 3-4 hours drive each way. I've managed to keep a leash on my impulsive nature, but it's not easy.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help and PATIENCE! I hope to "join this club" before the snow flies; perhaps someday I'll help someone else navigate this process!

Take Air,
Jack
Old 07-29-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Jack,
"Gut" plays a big role in buying a boat. When my wife and I went and looked at our boat we both pretty much knew she was right for us.

That cuts both ways. If the little voice in your head is telling to something's not right step off and keep looking.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 07-29-2011
A mod and her dragon

Owner Support

I researched boats for two years before we bought the Catalina. An important consideration that has exceeded expectations was the amount of support owners receive from other owners and the company. The company is interested in making owners happy no matter how old the boat.
veprjack likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 07-29-2011
On The Learning Curve

Jim,

YES - I usually have a very good gut instinct. In the past, my impulsive nature has sometimes overruled my gut instincts with poor results. My impulsive nature is NOT a good thing to have when looking at making such a BIG and EMOTIONAL decision that, because I will be leaving a lot behind to live aboard, will affect me for a LONG time to come. This would be a really good time for me to listen to my gut and walk away when it tells me to. It would probably take a few years for me to be able to buy another boat, so I'll have to literally LIVE with this decision for at least that long.

When one adds the big changes for me in "walking away from terra firma", to the huge learning curve ahead (in terms of seamanship, maintenance, etc.), it's a little intimidating. But, I'm committed to doing this so... With persistence, research, study, and the great resources/people on this forum, I'm looking forward to listening to my gut and then cutting the umbilical cord to learn a new way of life and skills as I begin a new chapter. With apologies for sounding overly DRAMATIC! lol...

Thanks,
Jack
Old 07-29-2011
On The Learning Curve

Well, I boarded both boats today and they were just OK - didn't grab me. In fact, the pictures were better than seeing up close and personal. I went back online and found this one-it's a 36 and over my budget, but if it proves to be "the one" I will make an effort to meet the price. I KNOW the C30 is fine for living aboard, but I just felt cramped - and the two specimens I boarded were kinda "tired" - this one looks good, but again, it's ONLY pictures. Fleet Yachts Sales | Pre-Owned Sail and Power boats Just for giggles, here's a really nice looking Endeavour - but I know nothing about that mfg. 1983 Endeavour 35 sailboat for sale in Massachusetts
Old 07-29-2011
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by veprjack View Post
Well, I boarded both boats today and they were just OK - didn't grab me. [/url]
Listen to your gut. However, if it's a financial stretch to buy the larger boat, don't forget that 6 more feet will more than double your maintenance/parts costs. Maybe even triple.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 07-29-2011
On The Learning Curve

DR - that's an amazing increase that I've heard from others. sheesh - but I just don't know about living aboard a C30 - and, as you all know better than I - the C30 is bigger than a LOT of 36' boats. I could do it, but it would be nice to ENJOY it too. It was the head that got to me - man, it just seemed so TINY/CRAMPED to me...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.