Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by veprjack View Post
It was the head that got to me - man, it just seemed so TINY/CRAMPED to me...
Yep. Not a lot of room left over for the reading material.

We usually just close one or the other folding doors and don't bother with the head door. Gives us a little more leg room and elbow room when using the shower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
Hey, again to add to the "mix", what do you guys think of C&C? This one caught my eye - 1977 C&C sailboat for sale in Massachusetts

Being a C30 forum, I guess I'm looking for comparisons and caveats about C&C in general?

Thanks for help and PATIENCE!
Jack
Old 07-30-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
If I remember correctly from my boat research, the cabin of the C&C was much smaller than the C30. Unless you have unlimited funds, I don't think you're going to find the perfect boat. You'll have to be willing to choose something to compromise.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-30-2011
On The Learning Curve

Yes - without unlimited funds (even then) I will have to compromise! I am committed to this, and will end up with something that I WILL be happy with (overall). lol... I have a written list of "nice to have" and "have to have". I think the priority is going to be liveaboard accomodations - if I'm unhappy for the 75% of the time (at least) the boat is standing still, it won't really matter how well she sails.

IF I have to compromise, it shouldn't be on the living amenities. I think the C30 has a LOT to offer in terms of BOTH live aboard comfort and decent sailing characteristics. So, I'll probably end up with one of those. The head IS cramped, but I'll either be using the one at the marina or a nearby health club (that I'll join) 90% of the time. Besides, the support from you guys and I'm told from the company, are PHENOMENAL!
Old 08-01-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
From your posts I think you realize that moving aboard is a BIG step and a pretty dramatic lifestyle change.

I'd take some time and search Sailnet and some of the other forums for experiences people have had when moving aboard.

We've lived on our boat for stretches up to 10 days and are aboard most weekends from spring through the fall. That said we still have a home and a place to store all our things. As a couple it would be very difficult for us to live aboard a 30 footer full time. Even if it was just me I'd have trouble trimming things down enough to live aboard full time -- though I've considered moving aboard for a few months at a time when I've looked at contracts outside our area.

This is a big step in a lot of ways.

Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-01-2011
On The Learning Curve

Jim, YES - I've actually thought about doing this for over 15 YEARS - and done research frome time to time. BUT, I cannot hear advice like yours often enough, if only to "take my temperature" - it's a HUGE, life-altering decision, especially in the cold Boston winter! Throw in the fact that I'm a newbie, and... But, I have made the decision and am making preparations already.

I've spent a LOT of time on this and other forums, getting info on condensation, types of heaters, insulation (even for the mast in the cockpit), etc. etc. etc. It is ENDLESS, but... I spent a month in a tent, climbing in Nepal - the "head" was behind a boulder! lol... I endured COLD nights, the dreaded trekker trots, and mild altitude sickness - so I have that experience to kinda give me an idea about discomfort - even though it WAS different. I'll have access to a marina's showers/facilities and will join a gym within walking distance. I'll also be walking distance from a really awesome city, with laundry, restaurants, etc. I may even be able to swing walking distance to a new job I'm looking at.

So, I go into this with my eyes at least half open. Will there be surprises over and above what "normal life" throws at me? I'd be surprised if that didn't happen. But, I've done my lists over the years, and the benefits FAR outweigh whatever negatives I'll face.

I will have access to storage, but will no longer have my own home. My friend has lived on his boat for 20 years, and is a wealth of information - and has lived in the Bahamas, Florida, Boston - and is heading to Gibraltar next month!

Hey, thanks for the info and advice - this forum and its members are AWESOME!

Jack
Old 08-01-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
If the wife and I would have tried to move all of our "stuff" aboard our 36 footer, it might have been a bit of a squeeze, considering we had a house and storage full of family things.

The key is being willing to give up your stuff for the lifestyle. There are many couples that live full-time aboard boats as "small" as a 30 footer. It's all in how much you covet those things that you have come to think you need to live.

We live aboard 50% and live at our office the other 50%. We sold EVERYTHING in our home and everything in storage. The only exceptions are some artwork that the kids did, and some letters. Not even a box full. We took pictures of the rest, and will store them on a server aboard when it's time to leave.

It's like they say about dieting. Some diet to lose weight. Some make a lifestyle change in their diet and live that way. If you make a lifestyle change, then you don't miss those things which you gave up because you really didn't need them to begin with. Society has a way of convincing us that we need more and more, when we don't. We found that we didn't need society's values, so we gave those up instead.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 08-01-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Hey, again to add to the "mix", what do you guys think of C&C? This one caught my eye - 1977 C&C sailboat for sale in Massachusetts

Being a C30 forum, I guess I'm looking for comparisons and caveats about C&C in general?

Thanks for help and PATIENCE!
Jack
FWIW this is a C&C 29 model...
Old 08-01-2011
On The Learning Curve

Tom, Have you ever seen George Carlin's skit on "Stuff"?? Not sure that's what it's called, but he talks about buying bigger houses to fit all our STUFF in. As usual, Carlin's genius is hillarious but poignant.

What did you find was the best way to sell your STUFF? Yard sales, Craig's List??

Thanks,
Jack
Old 08-01-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tom, Have you ever seen George Carlin's skit on "Stuff"?? Not sure that's what it's called, but he talks about buying bigger houses to fit all our STUFF in. As usual, Carlin's genius is hillarious but poignant.

What did you find was the best way to sell your STUFF? Yard sales, Craig's List??

Thanks,
Jack
Yes, I've seen it. We are taught, through whatever means you want to believe in, that we need more and more. Not true for most of us, but this is the brainwashing that we receive over time, and through television programs, over time.

Yep, Carlin's genius was almost, genius.

We sold our stuff by hanging signs on posts and on Craigslist (thanks Craig). I'm still selling things that I collected over the years, too. I have had an affinity for Commodore Computers for many years, as these are the machines I learned on. I'm still selling off my stuff. Even though we have no home, I still have some of this in the attic at our office.

I also still have some CB equipment that I collected over the years. Still selling/giving away that, too.

It has become to me; "what ever it takes". We are planning a Pacific voyage, and I know what I have to do. I have to put aside my emotional attachments and sell this stuff so that we can close the office and get away, so whatever it takes.

A new chapter in life and a new love, so I take LOTS of pictures and store them so that I can view them as I want when I am off shore.

Hope this helps, but as the evening wears on my Scotch on the rocks will tend to blur my better (writing) judgment.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.