SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

any 36' owners out there?

8K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  montenido 
#1 ·
Any 36' owners???

#4 ·
Hey, sorry for the late reply, this forum doesn't get used a lot. Yes, I have a C36. A 1991, Hull 1128. We just bought the boat in late June and our first sail aboard her was July 4th weekend.

We've really enjoyed the boat so far. You can check out my "BFS on the Chesapeake" thread to see how the boat handled conditions about as bad as you are likely to have to deal with on the bay, unless you really go looking for trouble.

If you are looking for an active group, try the C36 International Association. They have both an semi-active bulletin board and a hyper-active e-mail list. I had to unsubscribe from the e-mail list, as the volume was more than I could stand but I do check the BB fairly regularly.

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Bill
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 C36

#5 ·
I know there must be other Catalina 36 owners in this forum.

I have hull number 82, made in 1982, and keep it in Bellingham, WA.

My husband and I own it with two other partners, and it works great to have others share the work and expenses. One of our partners is a cleaning machine (the boat was quite dirty when we got it in August 2008), and the other is a great woodworker who sanded and oiled all the wood in the cabin over the winter.

CaptKathy
HoriZEN

#6 ·
I'll play!

We have a 2007 C36 MkII that we charter out (and use ourselves whenever we get the chance!) She's a great coastal cruiser, and all of our charterers love the boat. She's done lots of sailing in coastal North Carolina on the Pamlico River and Pamlico Sound, visits to Ocracoke, and a few down to Beaufort and Cape Lookout.

She's also spent a winter in the Abacos and Exumas, making the trips down and back offshore from Beaufort Inlet to Marsh Harbour.

I see this thread was originally started a while back, but I'm glad to offer any input I can about the boat.

#8 ·
Hey - I'll play too! Just purchased a c36 in August 09 and have it on Lake Erie (for now). It's a 1989 named Lucky Duck and we love it so far. CaptKathy - my sister lives in Carnation out your way and we plan to visit next year to sail the Sound and the San Juan islands. I may need plenty of advice from you all!

#9 ·
Sure why not. Picked up my C36 Tall in Dec 09. Have had several great sails, some systems have already caused problems, some have been fixed, and I still have a ton to learn. Hope to have her until I retire and get something on the coast. So far we have not missed a weekend on her doing something. However, at some point I'm going to have to start taking care of the house again before spring gets here as there is no way I'm going to not be sailing.

Peace,
Maze

#10 ·
Last Resort

Just saw this site!

Restoring my recently deceased (2008) father's 1987 Catalina 36 tall rig. She is coming together nicely, though I must admit it has been a ton of sweat and even more dollars ('B.O.A.T' = Break out another thousand!).

Anyway, have sailed her a few times. Glorious cruiser and getting better with every once of attention to detail we lavish on her.
Cheers!

al:)

#11 ·
Just saw this site!

Restoring my recently deceased (2008) father's 1987 Catalina 36 tall rig. She is coming together nicely, though I must admit it has been a ton of sweat and even more dollars ('B.O.A.T' = Break out another thousand!).

Anyway, have sailed her a few times. Glorious cruiser and getting better with every once of attention to detail we lavish on her.
Cheers!

al:)
Condonlences on your fathers passing and congratulations on your boat. Taking care of a vessel that was no doubt a source of pride for your dad, is a great tribute to him that also happens to offer rewards for you and your family. Enjoy.

I'd urge you to consider checking out the Catalina 36 International Association. In addition to the other benifits of joining, With a 3 year membership, they provide a maintenance compendium containing manuals for the systems and components typically found installed on C36's on a CD. It also includes years worth of upgrade ideas, maintenance and DIY articles specific to the C36. Its great having copies of these on your PC so you always have them available even if you keep the originals on board. There is also a web forum and a e-mail list with access to other owners and some real technical experts on our boats. Its a very active support network to keep your boat in top shape and inspire upgrades and addtions to make your boating even more enjoyable.

#12 ·
Hi, I'll chime in. I pick up my new-to-me boat on Thursday :D for the trip back to Channel Islands Harbor from Long Beach. She is a beauty named Wild Wind. 1988, hull #813, in pristine condition.

Anyone in my area?

Cheers, Bill

#13 ·
I am a proud owner of a 1988 Catalina 36! Las Brisas has been with me for 5 years. She has been great to sail. I bought her in Charleston and sailed her around there for a year and then brought her inland. It is cheaper to keep her and gives me time and som extra $ to fix her up to go to the islands when the kids get a little older. I still get to sail her on a good size lake.

#14 ·
OK, I'll see you and raise you one. I'm on my SECOND Cat 36. My first was an '86 MK I that I lived aboard and eventually lost in a divorce and the second and current is a '91 MK I named Deja Vu because it looked just like the first one.:D She's docked in Marina del Rey, CA.

Mike

#15 ·
My wife and I purchased a 1993 Catalina 36 (hull #1217) a couple of years ago. We sail out of San Diego and up the California coast and out to Catalina Island. We really enjoy Liberty and have had a few problems but everything seems pretty accessable and so far have been able to repair or replace ourselves.

#16 ·
Ok Ok. I know this is an old thread, but I just stumbled upon it.
I am very close to pulling the trigger. After years of researching and dreaming, I have decided that the Cat 36 is the boat I want. I am currently in Kansas, don't even ask, but originally from west coast. I plan on coastal cruising the west coast of US and Mex and possibly the Pacific islands. I am currently shopping yacht world and craigs list. Have missed out on a few real good deals, nearly steals. Plan on buying this summer and heading to Mex with or just behind the Ha Ha.
This post is basically aimed at MikeinLA, Montiendo and dgkiisenger. How long of a pasage have you made on your Cat 36. How is it holding up. Any major issues? I will join the Cat 36 organization when I finally purchase.
My big question, I am looking at 86 to 89 models. Do any of you know of one for sale in the 30k range that I have not become aware of through Yachtworld or craigslist. Maybe a friend or aquaintance that has expressed interest in selling?
Any way, for now, I must say I am envious of you beaing able to sail the west coast and enjoy the weather. Joining you soon.
Larry

#17 ·
Hi Larry,
welcome to the fray. Sadly, my longest passage to date was from Long Beach Harbor up to my home marina in Oxnard, about 60 miles. This summer I plan on visiting Catalina Isle and that is also about 60 nm. Mexico is on the radar for me, then the South Pacific as well, but probably not with this boat.
Actually, I waiver daily on whether to take my C36 or to get a more purpose-built cruiser. I love my boat and it is equiped and outfitted very well.
BTW, she is for sale, but a bit more than what you are looking to spend ($59K). Have you looked at the C34? I have been told that inside space is similar, and they have a loyal following.
Good luck and let us know how you end up. Also, post and hit us up when you make it to the west coast.

Cheers, Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.