Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina > C400
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by therobesons View Post
I understand the Mk 2 came out in 1999 with a 56hp engine among other changes.

Did the 42hp engine of the std version work OK? How fast will she motor?

With the the 56 hp in the Mk 2 how fast will she motor? I here the 56 hp engine is nosiy was the 42 as well?

I do want good cruising speed, I want to troll for fish and need 5-8 kts while motoring.

I am also looking and either a feathering or folding prop. Any suggestions?

I had the folding prop on my 36 and really liked it for both sail and powering forward, and it backed up OK for me.

I will have many more guestions, I hope you do not mind.

Bob
The 56 motors the 400 along nicely. This may be very beneficial in an opposing tide/weather. I easily run at 7-7.2 at cruise. I doubt you will get 8 unless you are in a current helping you along as I think that exceeds hull speed.

I do not be,lieve the 56 is any more noisy than any other sailboat engine I have been on and actually less than the 380 we had. She runs smooth and is "relatively" quiet down below. However, you will never be wondering whether or not your negine is running! It is a sailboat and with the exception of two high-end boats that I have been on, they all have engine noise.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2009

bsugg is on a distinguished road
How would you compare the in-mast main on the 400 with the full-battened main on the earlier models? We sail on an inland lake and many times the wind is very light (5kts). Will the in-mast main perform noticeably different (or worse) than the full-battened main in these conditions?
Old 01-19-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I would get the inmast for the lake. You will enjoy sailing and end up pulling out the main a LOT more. My concern on the inmast is getting her down, offshore, in a storm. Will not be an issue for you... not even on the great lakes.

Still, the whole inmast getting jammed may be more folklore than reality anymore. I have called the spar mfg and they were very adamant that the new ones do not have a jam issue when worked properly. And that is the key I learned, bringing it in differnetly than you might a jib or how youwould drop a trad main.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-19-2009

bsugg is on a distinguished road
Does sound like the in-mast is easier to use and that's good to know. Do you know if we will sacrifice some sail performance with it? My husband is a racer and likes to get maximum boat speed out of his sails and trim.
Old 01-19-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
CD
Kind of an off-the-wall C400 question but in case you may have any tricks wiring through the boat -
My dock neighbor has a winter project (installing an elec winch in place of the std cabin top one) which i offered to help him do. We have not yet started but seeing your offer, it prompts me to ask if you know the best way to run the cables from the cabin top to the house bank under the sole. I have not looked yey assuming it should be apparent how best to run them but after helping him install A/C, we ran across a few surprises with hollow bulkheads and little void space under the sole.
thanks in advance for any help. It's a 3 cabin if that matters

Last edited by k1vsk; 01-19-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2009
Banned

mcfsailor is on a distinguished road
In-Mast Furling

I have used the in-mast furling on my C-400 for the past 3+ years and 5 years on my previous C-36. Its a great system that I have never had any problems with. I actually like the control I have with the outhaul to shape the main for best performance under the given wind conditions. I'm sure I give up a bit of speed to the full baten mainsail but the ease and convenience far outweighs the speed difference.
Old 01-21-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
CD
Kind of an off-the-wall C400 question but in case you may have any tricks wiring through the boat -
My dock neighbor has a winter project (installing an elec winch in place of the std cabin top one) which i offered to help him do. We have not yet started but seeing your offer, it prompts me to ask if you know the best way to run the cables from the cabin top to the house bank under the sole. I have not looked yey assuming it should be apparent how best to run them but after helping him install A/C, we ran across a few surprises with hollow bulkheads and little void space under the sole.
thanks in advance for any help. It's a 3 cabin if that matters
There is a wire run port and starboard under/behind a wooden trim board. When you turn on your sheer lights... that is it. THat is one solution. The other solution is to pull the floor boards and follow those runs.

Personally, I would stuck the battery in the forward V and not run 2/0 cable from the main house. That is the best use of your money, time, and resources. You will still have to feed the battery via a charger, but you can either put a dedicated charger forward for that or run a echo charger from your main charger in the Nav station. That is your choice.

Did that help?

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-21-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
There is a wire run port and starboard under/behind a wooden trim board. When you turn on your sheer lights... that is it. THat is one solution. The other solution is to pull the floor boards and follow those runs.

Personally, I would stuck the battery in the forward V and not run 2/0 cable from the main house. That is the best use of your money, time, and resources. You will still have to feed the battery via a charger, but you can either put a dedicated charger forward for that or run a echo charger from your main charger in the Nav station. That is your choice.

Did that help?

Brian
Are you talking about an anchor windlass fwd or an elec (halyard) winch on the cabintop?
Old 09-30-2009

seapony2 is on a distinguished road
I have hull 309 of the 400 MK11

I installed a Max prop. I have used them on three different boats and am very happy. I am sure there are others as well.
As far as the 400 vs the 42. Believe it or not I believe the 400 out sails the 42.
As Crusingdad said the twin wheel is very nice. the 400 loves 20knot winds and just digs in. also the 135 is plenty and a heck of a lot easier to tack.

Good luck
Seapony2
Old 02-27-2010
Still learning!

Magic1 is on a distinguished road
CD: Have C400 #251 "Magic" on the Chesapeake Bay. Watched your posts with my good friend Jorgen a bit over a year ago and was pleased when he purchased a 400 last March and is now cruising the Bahamas. Our cruising plan is to head south in 2012. After a visit with Querencia in the Bahamas early in Feb, we are convinced that either davits or an arch /w davits is going to be a requirement (I store my Walker Bay RIB on bow and use a 7:1 block and tackle to launch/retrieve) since the wind would play havoc on getting the dingy in/out of the water. Putting together ideas now and see you have both an arch AND separate davits. Wondering why your went with separate systems rather than include davits with your arch. Also, who did your arch and davits and (if you don't mind) how much did you pay?
My wife, who has followed this site far longer than I (I tend to "hang around" the C400 official site and the model site on Yahoo) and enjoys your posts. Until today, we even thought Jorgen on Querencia had the idea for mounting their knife block next to the companionway? He obviously got it from the photo with your wife in the galley holding up the makings for some good adult beverages! FYI, my companionway rail on that side must be further outboard than both yours and Querencia since the Wustof knife/block set (same as yours) doesn't fit. Go figure.
In any case, if you could give me some details on you arch/davits, I'd be very appreciative.
Thanks, Tim Leighton