SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   C400 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c400/)
-   -   400 List/Owners (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/c400/45991-400-list-owners.html)

Cruisingdad 08-12-2008 12:39 PM

400 List/Owners

400 owners can speak with me here if they need help on issues or drop me a PM.

- CD

rmtayloriii 08-12-2008 01:32 PM

I'll start.I am getting close to purchasing a new 400 and trying to decide between a 155 or 135 furling headsail.My wife and I will be limited to the Great Lakes for the next many years.* Typical winds are 10-15 knots but often enough above.* I'm leaning toward the 135 to limit compromised sail shape when the wind is up and I'm reefed.What would be a typical reefing wind speed for the 155?* For the 135?By the way, I may be going with a boom furler main.Thanks,BT

Cruisingdad 08-12-2008 01:59 PM

I have the 135 and it balances nicely. I have the inmast. THe inboom is definitely a better option.

Brian

rmtayloriii 08-14-2008 03:13 PM

Thanks. I'm looking at one next Saturday. That should answer a lot of questions....more so for the wife.

therobesons 08-25-2008 10:05 PM

New to the board, like to introduce myself, have questions

My last boat was a Catalina 36, great boat, but now I am in the market for a new boat (used).

I am considering the 400 or the 42.

I like the looks and layout much better on the 400.

I live in San Diego area and will only be doing day and coastal cruising.

What are the ups and downs of the 400?

There are 3 of us which encludes our 9 year old daughter.

TIA

Bob

rmtayloriii 08-28-2008 12:30 PM

We looked at a 2003 model this past weekend and I'm hooked on the 400.

The cockpit, galley space, and master stateroom were highlights for me.

Right now I can say I choose the 400 over the 42, not in any order, because:

1. Galley has more usuable counter space.
2. Navigation table location.
3. Port bench in cabin is long enough to sleep on.
4. Master stateroom is huge. Need to see it to understand.

More to come?

Cruisingdad 08-28-2008 12:42 PM

I agree with all the comments above. The twin steering is a big positive as well.

garygleason 08-31-2008 01:23 PM

Lifting davits and starting battery

I have a Catalina 400 MkII #387 and would like to add a lifting davit for my outboard and a group 24 starting battery. Does anyone have a recommendation for where to install the davit? Also, does anyone know where the factory installs the starting battery on the MkII model? Thanks.

therobesons 08-31-2008 02:11 PM

Looking to buy a 400, std or Mk2

I understand the Mk 2 came out in 1999 with a 56hp engine among other changes.

Did the 42hp engine of the std version work OK? How fast will she motor?

With the the 56 hp in the Mk 2 how fast will she motor? I here the 56 hp engine is nosiy was the 42 as well?

I do want good cruising speed, I want to troll for fish and need 5-8 kts while motoring.

I am also looking and either a feathering or folding prop. Any suggestions?

I had the folding prop on my 36 and really liked it for both sail and powering forward, and it backed up OK for me.

I will have many more guestions, I hope you do not mind.

Bob

Cruisingdad 09-02-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garygleason (Post 361075)
I have a Catalina 400 MkII #387 and would like to add a lifting davit for my outboard and a group 24 starting battery. Does anyone have a recommendation for where to install the davit? Also, does anyone know where the factory installs the starting battery on the MkII model? Thanks.

Gary,

I have seen the davits installed on the stern rail - port or stbd. You might consider geting dinghy davits to lift the whole dink out of the water. I used Kato and have been very impressed. I lift my entire tender, motor and all, out of the water with them.

The battery, per factory, is installed in the storage space under the floorboard in the galley which causes a loss of much of that space. I did not like that and intead installed mine in the stbd lazarette. In essense, I put all of my house bank on Batt switch one and put the start on bat switch two. The benefit of this is that you can easily parallel your batts, can use the start for lighting or the house for starting or both, and the switch-over is very easy. The negative is that if you forget to switch off the start batt, you run the risk of pulling it down with the others. The truth is that since you should always run your batts in parallel (esp with a seperate start batt), it seems unlikely you will ever use the start batt or pull it into the system except in a emergency.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

- CD

PS I used a seperate charger and OPTIMA batt for start so that it did not have to be serviced and could lay on its side if neccessary.