Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014

westerml is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 35 MKII with Campbell Sailor

Cliff508, some measurements for you from my Cal 35 MkII (1983):
9-3/4" from shaft end to rudder
7" to shaft centerline from boat bottom at the forward point of the cutlass bearing in strut.
9-1/2" to shaft centerline at the aft point of the cutlass bearing in strut.
Prop seats 2" from edge of strut/cutlass.
This gives me roughly 18" of clearance for the prop supporting the 17 " 2 blade that looked to be original equipment.

Hope its helpful for you.
Faster likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to westerml For This Useful Post:
cliffs508 (02-19-2014)
Old 02-18-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The difference between having space between the strut and prop and not having space is often the difference between having a shaft vibration damper and not having one. Installing one of those at the transmission will move the shaft 1/2" to 1-1/2" farther away from the cutlass depending on the type of damper.

Campbell Sailor pitch numbers don't seem comparable with other props. I went from a 16x10" two blade Michigan Sailor to a 14x8" 3-blade Campbell Sailor to a 16"x9.5" pitch 3-blade Featherstream. Based on the numbers you'd think that the Campbell Sailor would have the highest engine RPM for a given speed, but in reality it was the lowest.

When buying both of my props (Featherstream and Campbell Sailor) I like the prop manufacturer figure out the right pitch and diameter based on my boat and engine specs. It worked out well in both cases, but I also have a very common engine (Yanmar 2GM20F), boat hull shape, and displacement.
Old 02-19-2014

westerml is on a distinguished road

Alex, thanks for information and actually it looks like my change may be in line with what you saw with this final modification. I replaced 17x10 two blade with a Campbell Sailor 16x8 three blade. This was apparently a pretty standard set up for my motor/tranny/hull per NxW. After a season of not being able to get my diesel on the HP curve we decided to take it down to a 15x8 with a bit less CS cup. He (Kelsey) at NxW said he had a few out there that were cut this way on my boat configuration. The changes were based on the needed RPM. He said he would definitely not recommend changing the pitch. Will be interesting this spring to see how it performs. Thanks again for the insight.
Old 02-20-2014

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

FYI there's a curve in Gerr's book of the optimum pitch/diameter ratio. Gives min,average, and maximum values based on boat speed. Speeds we go at are at the bottom of the curve so for example at 5 kts the values are: .575, .7, and .825 respectively. At 7.5kts the values are .625,.775, and .9. Props should fall in between the min and max. If they fall outside the curves and you can't correct it with a different diameter prop, then the shaft speed isn't suited to the boat and the boat should have a different reduction gear.
Cal-29
Old 04-30-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Very strange that RPMs would drop when you went to a prop with lower pitch. The original 2-bladed looks typical for your engine. I would have thought dropping down to an 8 inch pitch would have resulted in hitting max RPM before max power. Don't see what dropping diameter but same pitch will buy you other than reducing blade area (and thus efficiency).