looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2013

MichaelAngel442 is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s

NOTE: There are TWO sets doors! One that separates the main cabin from the bathroom (one piece door sliding from starboard to port), and that second set of doors we already talked about. This set up allowed the head to be completely isolated from vbirth and main cabin if desired. Hope that made sense and you may already know this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngel442 View Post
Your hull number should be in the glass somewhere. I will locate mine and tell you where I found it. It took a closer look at your original pictures and seems as though your boat was ORIGINALLY shipped with an engine. Probably a VIRE 7 / 1 lunger 2 stroke. You will notice on the floor in the **** pit just in front of the hatch, you will notice a cover with 'FUEL' on it. That lever with the white handle operated the transmission which was attached to the VIRE 7. It's obviously gone now. If the boat was shipped without an inboard engine, the transmission gear selector and fuel cell would never have been installed. Additionally, if that boat wasn't shipped with a inboard, the transom would have been cut to accommodate for an outboard engine. If you look carefully at the transom on the inside, you can actually see the outline where the cut would be. I have seen of few of these CAL's with the outboard option.
ok. that's interesting. I have seen pictures of a cal 27 with just such a cut out. I had wondered about that cut out when I saw the pictures. so, if the engine had been removed, do you think they glassed over the place where the shaft exited the hull? perhaps the actual shaft and propeller are still there. I haven't seen the underside because I am not hauling her til it's time to scrape barnacles and do the bottom paint.

depending on whether the shaft is still in place or not, how hard to you think it'd be to put another motor in it? would it even be worth it? perhaps I could remove the fuel cell and put a holding tank there, for the head, or convert the fuel cell to a holding tank. I really would like am actual marine head, instead of a portable head. I was considering a composting head, as well.
Old 11-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Good to see this dialogue.. thanks for helping out, Michael.

Jack you should be able to see if the original prop shaft is in place, it should be visible from inside (I would think) just ahead of the tank. If someone's converted the original inboard engine space to storage it may be buried there. It's also possible someone removed it and glassed it over. If you stick to your electric power/engineless plan you obviously won't need the tank, that will open up more storage when you take it out. Not sure about converting to a holding tank, it would need some modification and large diameter hoses attached somehow..

If all the parts are there it likely is possible to repower with another inboard but probably not worth the cost. Possibly even an electric drive, but again $$$$$.

But it's great to have a resource like Michael.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Good to see this dialogue.. thanks for helping out, Michael.

Jack you should be able to see if the original prop shaft is in place, it should be visible from inside (I would think) just ahead of the tank. If someone's converted the original inboard engine space to storage it may be buried there. It's also possible someone removed it and glassed it over. If you stick to your electric power/engineless plan you obviously won't need the tank, that will open up more storage when you take it out. Not sure about converting to a holding tank, it would need some modification and large diameter hoses attached somehow..

If all the parts are there it likely is possible to repower with another inboard but probably not worth the cost. Possibly even an electric drive, but again $$$$$.

But it's great to have a resource like Michael.

it most definitely is!

I am going by the boat, today, before I go to teach class. I figured i'd get in some work. I will look, when I am there. thanks for the input. i just never considered that it originally may have had an inboard.
Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
NOTE: There are TWO sets doors! One that separates the main cabin from the bathroom (one piece door sliding from starboard to port), and that second set of doors we already talked about. This set up allowed the head to be completely isolated from vbirth and main cabin if desired. Hope that made sense and you may already know this.
no. actually, i didn't know that. i was talking about the door that separates the cabin from the head/berth. i hadn't realized you could close the head off from the berth, too. that's cool. you, my friend, are a wealth of information. thank you so much.
Old 11-13-2013

Engine: I would definetely look at a different solution for the engine. As you may or may not know, that boat weighs at LEAST 5400 pounds without any souls on board. I find my original engine underpowered and I will be looking to switch it out with a 2 GM of some type. I will be looking to glass in a 25 hp for more to help with the 20 ft swells we can get in the bath tub they call Lake Michigan. Also, I like coming in hot and exercising the sphincters of the old guys that like to wait on the dock ready to catch mooring lines. LOL I see it as a public service. lol I'll be by the boat and I will take pictures and a video for you Captain Jack.
Old 11-13-2013

What I have found is boaters, sailor and power alike, are among the friendliest of people I have ever met. I am merely repaying the kindness others have shown me and continue to do so. Anything I can do to help.

Last edited by MichaelAngel442; 11-13-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2013

Bathroom: It will take considerable effort and resources to convert that fuel cell to a holding tank. Waste will need to be pumped a long way back and up into that tank and what a mess you will have if, after a night of celebration, someone tries to flush a dead beaver through. Ugh.. Don't laugh.. been there, done that! LOL Additionally, a solution will be needed for pump out from that location. If a holding tank for the potty is really set deep and true into your desires, I would look at what you can fabricate and install BELOW the head. That way you can utilize gravity and some existing help that came with the boat. IE: Pump out features that were build into the boat.

Last edited by MichaelAngel442; 11-13-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2013

I would take everything the marine owner will give you. You can use the sailing paraphernalia you don't use to barter for things you may need. Your boat can accommodate a smaller jib in addition to the main job. You will see the ring on the mast just under the steaming light and you will see the track directly on the deck towards the bow. For the jib, look for a 120 but no more than a 180. We'll talk more about sails later. But, I wanted you to know as you go through the sails available.

Last edited by MichaelAngel442; 11-13-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
Engine: I would definetely look at a different solution for the engine. As you may or may not know, that boat weighs at LEAST 5400 pounds without any souls on board. I find my original engine underpowered and I will be looking to switch it out with a 2 GM of some type. I will be looking to glass in a 25 hp for more to help with the 20 ft swells we can get in the bath tub they call Lake Michigan. Also, I like coming in hot and exercising the sphincters of the old guys that like to wait on the dock ready to catch mooring lines. LOL I see it as a public service. lol I'll be by the boat and I will take pictures and a video for you Captain Jack.
so, do you think that a 9.9 outboard would be a good choice? I only want it for emergencies: no wind and I just have to get back or sails shredded, mast broken, and I can't sail sort of thing. possibly for moving into or out of the slip in contrary winds. not looking to hot dog it, but I need to be able to move the boat, too.

thanks for being willing to take picks for me. I can't tell you how big a help that will be; like a lighthouse on a foggy night.