looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s - Page 24 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngel442 View Post
Yeah.. I figured ~ as my time dealing with these a~fooking~mazing boats find this fixtures missing. I have several master machinist that owe me big and I will get you that piece machined. I'll inbox you when its done for your addy. You WILL need that fastener to secure the pop-top to the mast if you are to pursue hand rails on the the pop top. fyi ~ I sailed my first year with the pop top untethered to the mast via this fixture and it flops around significantly.. I'll get this to you by spring. Let me know if you want the legs. I can get those bent for you as well.
really? you are awesome! thanks dude.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngel442 View Post
I once discussed this very issue with one of my buddies at GM. She was intrigued how the sailing community dealt with a 'convertible' as is really what the Cal '27 pop top is. After she modeled the boat into her proprietary structural software, she found the boat is "overbuilt" for a reason. The hull was built to be structurally sound, or overbuilt, because of the pop top. I would assume this model was not fiscally viable for this LOA as a business model. However, does explain why they are so overweight for their class. Note: convertible vehicles (cars) are actually heavier then their fixed hard tops counterparts.
yeah. that's what i was getting at. the top of the pop top is actually quite a bit heavier than a corresponding coach roof because it has no strength from form. i hadn't thought about the hull being heavier, too.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2013

i am missing one of the jib tracks. anyone have a suggestion as to the best place to get one?

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-18-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I answered this for you once before. Bacon Sails. the have tons of stuff but you won't find it online.

my current "project"!
Old 12-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I answered this for you once before. Bacon Sails. the have tons of stuff but you won't find it online.
that was the car. i found one of those. i am specigically looking for the track. one of those is missing, too.will they have that, too?

one other thing. i still have the depth sounder through hull transducer in place. the wire was cut and the actual part you read is gone. can i simply get one of my choice or do i need to figure out the brand and model that is on the boat so i can match it up?

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-18-2013

a few other things: this metal box is near the battery box. it has terminals for wires, which you can almost see in the pic, but no wires were hooked to it. any idea what it is? it looks like some sort of a rather large breaker.

http://

this next electrical item is in the bilge. i took this pic while i was installing the bilge pump. again, all the wires were cut off. i have no idea where it once went. i don't think it's a depth sounder transducer. that is under the V berth. but i could be wrong. is there a reason someone would have two? it seems odd that it would be to one side ( starboard ) of the keel, rather than centered, if that's what it is. the wire coming from it appears to bo coaxal cable, which makes it seem to be a depth sounder transducer. but the location would not be good for one. i can't actually get to it to see if it has any identifying marks. any thoughts about what it is? perhaps a speed sensor?

http://

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 12-19-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old 12-19-2013

ok. after researching it, i am pretty sure the unit in the side of the bilge is a speed sensor. still not sure of the purpose of the metal box. i think it's a breaker but i don't know what for. it wasn't hooked up to anything and each switch in the panel has a fuse. possibly for the ( missing ) motor?

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-19-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Looks like it could be an old Voltage regulator?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-19-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
that was the car. i found one of those. i am specigically looking for the track. one of those is missing, too.will they have that, too?

one other thing. i still have the depth sounder through hull transducer in place. the wire was cut and the actual part you read is gone. can i simply get one of my choice or do i need to figure out the brand and model that is on the boat so i can match it up?
I found track for my hunter 23 when I was doing the set up for a 150 genny. curved track at that! Tons of "stuff" there. go see! only way.
TakeFive likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 12-19-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I found track for my hunter 23 when I was doing the set up for a 150 genny. curved track at that! Tons of "stuff" there. go see! only way.
I agree, Bacon is a must-visit for anyone in the mid-Atlantic region. If you're a resident or frequent visitor in Annapolis, there's no excuse.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)