looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s - Page 26 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: looking for past or present owners of 1970 through 73 cal 27s

You will need them.. unless you like wearing yourself out trimming the jib Sooner (not later) you will be getting 150 or even larger genoa for light air and like everyone you will fly it instead of changing it too smaller when the wind pipes up.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

my girlfriend will mostly be tending the jib so i imagine that might be even more the case since there is a huge difference in strength between us. i was curious. like i said, this is my first boat with winches. the holiday 20 didn't need the mechanical advantage. i wonder what size it begins to be necessary.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 12-20-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
my girlfriend will mostly be tending the jib so i imagine that might be even more the case since there is a huge difference in strength between us. i was curious. like i said, this is my first boat with winches. the holiday 20 didn't need the mechanical advantage. i wonder what size it begins to be necessary.
OH? REALLY???? HERE WE GO....! She going to tie the lines, drop the anchor, pull up the anchor, cook the meals too? Let's see how it goes when your in 15 knots running and need to come about and haul in the sheets LOL..you will both be on the winches is my guess .. one for each.. all things being equal LOL

re; "is sailing sexist?"

my current "project"!
Old 12-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
OH? REALLY???? HERE WE GO....! She going to tie the lines, drop the anchor, pull up the anchor, cook the meals too? Let's see how it goes when your in 15 knots running and need to come about and haul in the sheets LOL..you will both be on the winches is my guess .. one for each.. all things being equal LOL

re; "is sailing sexist?"
that's funny. but, actually, if i have anyone to crew for me, they usually tend the jib and i handle the main and tiller. unless i have to strike the jib. with the holiday, when the wind would get too high, i'd strike the jib and lash it to the foredeck. since this required going forward without lifelines or anything, i would do that. in that case, my crew ( usually a girlfriend but not always) would take the tiller and main, as i went forwards to tend to the jib. in some ways, i suppose, that wasn't as good an idea as it seemed, at the time. while i was taking the risk, which seemed smart, i also happened to be the one who actually knew how to sail. thinking of it, now, it might have been better if i had let my crew go forwards. i could sail back for them. not so sure it would have worked out so well had i actually fallen overboard.

yes, if i'm at the helm, she'd have to handle the anchor. she'd never even been on any sort of boat til i went to look at this boat. can't very well give her the helm. at least, not at this point in the game.

she's a better cook than i am, although i am not bad. honstly, i'm a really good cook at the things i cook. but she is an all around better cook. every woman in her family is gifted in the kitchen. she tends to do more of the cooking because of that, but i cook about a third of the time and i do the dishes much more often.

it may sound bad but, maybe because the folks that sail with me are not experienced sailors, i always have the helm on my boat. i don't ever ride ( motorcycle ) on the back of anyone, either. other people's riding tends to scare me. lol. seriously, though. the last time i rode on the back of anyone, it was on a 'test ride' at the bike shop where i worked. he kept saying he had a condition, on the bike, none of us could seem to experience. so, i rode on back of him to see if it would do it for him. never again! dude was a terrible rider. but that's neither here nor there.

heck. i thought you were going to say something about me saying i was a lot stronger than her. lol

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-20-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Even you, big guy, will probably need the jib winch at the upper end of the genoa's range.. and possibly sooner than that for good trim going upwind. You're moving firmly out of the 'dinghy' range.
captain jack likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-20-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
that's funny. but, actually, if i have anyone to crew for me, they usually tend the jib and i handle the main and tiller. unless i have to strike the jib. with the holiday, when the wind would get too high, i'd strike the jib and lash it to the foredeck. since this required going forward without lifelines or anything, i would do that. in that case, my crew ( usually a girlfriend but not always) would take the tiller and main, as i went forwards to tend to the jib. in some ways, i suppose, that wasn't as good an idea as it seemed, at the time. while i was taking the risk, which seemed smart, i also happened to be the one who actually knew how to sail. thinking of it, now, it might have been better if i had let my crew go forwards. i could sail back for them. not so sure it would have worked out so well had i actually fallen overboard.

yes, if i'm at the helm, she'd have to handle the anchor. she'd never even been on any sort of boat til i went to look at this boat. can't very well give her the helm. at least, not at this point in the game.

she's a better cook than i am, although i am not bad. honstly, i'm a really good cook at the things i cook. but she is an all around better cook. every woman in her family is gifted in the kitchen. she tends to do more of the cooking because of that, but i cook about a third of the time and i do the dishes much more often.

it may sound bad but, maybe because the folks that sail with me are not experienced sailors, i always have the helm on my boat. i don't ever ride ( motorcycle ) on the back of anyone, either. other people's riding tends to scare me. lol. seriously, though. the last time i rode on the back of anyone, it was on a 'test ride' at the bike shop where i worked. he kept saying he had a condition, on the bike, none of us could seem to experience. so, i rode on back of him to see if it would do it for him. never again! dude was a terrible rider. but that's neither here nor there.

heck. i thought you were going to say something about me saying i was a lot stronger than her. lol
You saying she's an idiot? Geeze Jack! come out of the stone ages! But she's got brains enough for an anchor

Couple leaves on sailing around the world trip .... 3 weeks later boat comes back to port.. she's sailing well too.. ... harbormaster asks; "What happened to hubby?" ."He fell overboard, never thought or even tried to teach me how to do a MOB rescue or use the radio... Well, I didn't know how to save him....I tried.. I really tried".. is that a tear or a gleam in her eyes?

my current "project"!
Old 12-20-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

Note; I'm just busting on jack not really trying pick a fight;

my current "project"!
Old 12-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Even you, big guy, will probably need the jib winch at the upper end of the genoa's range.. and possibly sooner than that for good trim going upwind. You're moving firmly out of the 'dinghy' range.
new territory. adventure it's kind of exciting, actually.

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-21-2013

Quote:
You saying she's an idiot? Geeze Jack! come out of the stone ages! But she's got brains enough for an anchor

Couple leaves on sailing around the world trip .... 3 weeks later boat comes back to port.. she's sailing well too.. ... harbormaster asks; "What happened to hubby?" ."He fell overboard, never thought or even tried to teach me how to do a MOB rescue or use the radio... Well, I didn't know how to save him....I tried.. I really tried".. is that a tear or a gleam in her eyes?

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-21-2013

Quote:
Note; I'm just busting on jack not really trying pick a fight;
heavy sigh. a sign of the times. you have to have a disclaimer when you joke around

1971 Cal 27